Dropper posts are they worth it.

Re: Re:

Rod_Saetan":22w76eh4 said:

And it's a Yes from me.

Bought a 2nd hand reverb a couple of years ago, never had any problems with it (apart from me crashing and ripping the hose out :roll: ).

It's on my modern bike though, if I rode my retro bike more I might be tempted to try one on it too.

Re:

I have a HiLo, I don't use the remote though. I'd be tempted to buy new if you can, they are fairly complicated and prone to abuse. Don't go near the Specialized one.

Saw the topic title and expected reviews of the original Breeze & Angell HiteRite...

Rod_Saetan":21eb5s40 said:
I have a HiLo, I don't use the remote though. I'd be tempted to buy new if you can, they are fairly complicated and prone to abuse. Don't go near the Specialized one.
The Specialized Command Post is actually known to be one of the most reliable out there ;-) I have a 1st gen one and it's been faultless. Not available in 27.2mm though.

To the OP - yes, they're worth it. Even more so the less gnarr you are I'd say - rides that are big up then big down don't ally need it, but for XC rides where you're constantly up then down they're great. Don't bother with anything that doesn't have a bar mounted lever as that defeats the point.

Tboo Ted, I think you may have been using yours wrong... ;-) Takes a split-second to push it down when you need to, and the same to unweight slightly when you want it to rise.

gradeAfailure":1hlnt9fb said:
To the OP - yes, they're worth it. Even more so the less gnarr you are I'd say - rides that are big up then big down don't ally need it, but for XC rides where you're constantly up then down they're great. Don't bother with anything that doesn't have a bar mounted lever as that defeats the point.

Exactly the scenario I was thinking of, three or four big ups and downs in a circuit of about 8 miles.

Re:

Re: the command post, it was mainly to do with the ferocity of the post when released, it's terrifying!

I also don't think you *need* a remote, less clutter on the bars and less to go wrong, but that's merely my opinion.

Hah, I know what you mean about the speed of return of the Command Post, but in reality you actually have your bum just on it when you release it then guide it up into position, as opposed to letting it cripple you!

No, you don't need a remote, but you're typically dropping the post just as the going gets rough, so taking a hand off the bars to activate the dropper seems somewhat daft! I have no front shifter anyway, so the dropper lever has just replaced that.

Re:

I've got a Thomson on my main bike and it's ace. Certainly not just for gnaaar, or downhill. Once I got used to it I find the ability to get the saddle out the way on technical ups, fast flowing trail centre type single track or any downs a real bonus. So much so that when I went on my old modern ht without dropper I fell off, having approached a steep down too quickly and inserting the seat post where it shouldn't go! :shock:

They're great, try one.

Well I have to say, while I find a dropper pretty much not something I use on my local trails, that I know backwards, today, did a race in an area I didn't know at all and was at the upper limit (heck over) of skill, and after the first sketchy decent, it was dropper post central. Saved my butt about 5 times.
I was going to take it off (as I just wasn't using it) but kept it just in case for this event, glad I did. Event still smashed me though, but was also happy i still had my bar ends on!

Back