Dream build spec suggestions please!....

wadsy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
As many of you know (for health reasons) I'm a bike-builder, not a bike-rider!

Doing builds is demanding for me (physically) and can (for me) get stressful, especially when building for others, but it is 'good' for me (mostly) to have a something to tinker with and (hopefully) get a sense of achievement at the end!

So, I'm (very) speculatively contemplating doing a nice lightweight hard-tail titanium frame based build!

My thoughts below, but I'd welcome suggestions and ideas!...

Frame: Merlin XLM
3x9 set-up I think
Grips: Ritchey foam
Bar: 31.8 Rental (40mm) riser
Stem: Syntace 31.8
Shifter: XTR M970 or Sram X0
Brakes: Formula R1
Headset: King - maybe Tune
Fork: SID
Wheels: Mavic Crssmax SLR or custom build - carbon rims?... ideally sub 1500g
Tyres: Continental X-King tan-wall tubeless
Chainset: XTR M970 or lighter weight triple
BB:
Pedals: Look Carbon/ti or Eggbeater 3/4 Ti if I can find nice ones
Chain: KMC 9SL
Cassette: XTR M970
RD: XTR M970 or Sram X0
Seatpost: something carbon
Saddle: Flite - probably my original from "bitd"

Thoughts/suggestions for nice lightweight kit without going mental price-wise!

Cheers

That sounds nice!!!

3x9 XTR would tick the dream build spec for me very nicely as far as the drive train is concerned. Don't be swayed by the 1x crowd! 😂

Personally I'd really want a dropper post. I know it adds a little weight, but it's so worth it if it's going to get ridden as it should.

I'd say bar rise entirely depends on who's going to be riding it, rather than being fixed from the start. Ditto bar width and stem length (60mm stem, 780mm bars with 10mm-20mm rise for me please!). The Renthal Fatbars are really nice, I love the rise/sweep on them - I guess you'll be going for the "lite" version?

I really like the Conti X-King as a rear tyre, but think I'd want something with a bit more bite on the front. Preferences vary wildly here, so would very much depend on the rider. I personally really quite like a Maxxis 1st gen High Roller in 2.5" width.

Finally, depending on who's going to be riding it, and how hard it's going to be ridden, I'd probably prefer a set of Revs with black box damper & carbon steerer to a SID. Personally I'd prefer a U-turn coil spring model, again I think the added capability / versatility more than justifies the weight.

Interested to hear what other people would spec on their dream build hardtail!

I think it all sounds good, very similar to how I plan to build my lightning, though v brakes not discs for that unless I throw an adapter on the rear.

Personal opinion but I think m970 shifters are better than x0 shifting wise and you get dual push into the bargain.

I'd love someone to make some xtr m970 shifter clamps in carbon.

I don't like carbon rims on steel or ti frames the rims are super stiff, so defeat the object of not using aluminium or carbon as a frame material🤔 - on a bare metal frame i prefer the look of a polished hub and rim.

But you could get some ti-dye spokes for total overkill😃

Formula brakes look a bit cheap compared to hope mono minis or similar - they don't seem very reliable either.

My vit t
https://www.retrobike.co.uk/threads/orange-vitamin-t-still-in-use.475551/
is mostly running what was to hand (and super nice obvs) when the previous component broke, so it doesn't have the deliberate design you will be putting in here

Definitely XTR over SRAM.
Not a fan of the tan sidewalls, but that’s just my taste. A big fan of Continental tires though.
Definitely King headset
Wippermann on the chain

Love the carbon post and steer tube

Personally I prefer more modern Ti builds with rigid forks and 1X drivetrain for a cleaner look.

Wippermann on the chain
I've got a £60rrp 11sx semi stainless wipperman chain on my most used bike - I've given it more trips to the parts cleaner than all the other chains I've ever owned put together!

It starts with higher drag than sram or shimano 11s out of the box, but lasts 3x as long.
Specially if you keep it clean and lubed.

And it looks beautiful!
(If you like chains that is😉)

I've had the opposite experience with wipperman chains. They seemed to wear faster than any chain I've had, and developed stiff links too. I had a couple, didn't get much use and on a commuter rather than any off road riding. Maybe I was unlucky?

One build choice I regret reverting was on my dbr axis TT. Originally built up with ti stem, bars and post (and onza ti bar ends as it is a retro bike), I changed it up for Thompson post and stem, and a carbon bar. Still looks great but I think the ti parts edges it. I'll never get another 27.0 syncros post, well not one I can afford anyway.

If you are going with Sid world cups with the carbon CSU, I'd be tempted to match the weave/look with the stem, bars and post.

I'd agree with the above about formula brakes, I've had a few sets and they don't look as good as a hope. Big fan of magura for stopping power and I like the idea of the carbo-techture levers, but they do feel a bit flimsy when fitting. Feel good though.

If you go hope, you can get a clamp to fit the m970 levers and tidy the bars.

XTR is such a safe (boring) choice. How about SRAM XX 2x10 with grip shift as a left field option?
King headsets are also so passé. Tune sounds like a great alternative.

Dude,

Tyres: Continental X-King tan-wall tubeless

Shall I throw a couple of these in the car tomorrow :)

But do NOT - and I mean NOT - ask me to fit them for you :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Back