Donohue

al

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Well this was for sale locally, and I fancied it, so here we are. This lovely fillet brazed frame had a repaint some years ago, hence the decals, which are sadly lacquered in. I'm just starting a complete stripdown so the de-Shimanofication can start. Full Sachs build, or as much as I can. Not going to be period correct, so a bit of mix n match.

Anyway as always the build will evolve over time. I'm also not sure about the forks yet either. Screenshot_20240913-110739~2.png

al.

Last edited:
Canti stop is an obvious Donohue feature but the extended seat tube and forward-facing seat binder are unusual. @retrobikeguy has a Donohue-built Frontiera with a forward-facing seat binder but the top of the seat tube isn't scalloped or extended very much.

Reactions: al
Canti stop is an obvious Donohue feature but the extended seat tube and forward-facing seat binder are unusual. @retrobikeguy has a Donohue-built Frontiera with a forward-facing seat binder but the top of the seat tube isn't scalloped or extended very much.
Frame number suggests it's a '89, although I'm not sure? That extended tube almost made me not buy it.
The bloke had a shim in it, as he was using a USE pin. It was way too short, and was beaten to f*ck because of the scalloped tube. Luckily he had got away without damaging anything.

al.

Very nice, I think it is an 89 based on that cable stop on the wishbone, it's the same as on Nick's frontera as pictured below, the seat post does look extended but as long as it does the job it doesn't matter, all the paul Donohue MTBs that I've seen are all very different so it may just have been specced like this.

It may well have been in for some changes when it went in for new paint, did the seller indicate anything when you bought it? , personally though I wouldn't be that bothered I think it's a great looking bike although I prefer the period correct style of decals

Looking forward to seeing a sachs build al 👍

1000015487.jpg

The seller didn't mention any changes to the frame when it was painted, so I assume it's all original.
The original fork is a tig welded unicrown which I thought odd. I would have expected a brazed one with faux lug or some such. Maybe the original owner just wanted to keep his costs down a bit.
I'm flirting with the idea of putting them back on.

al.

I like the look of the extended seat tube. Has a look of Roberts about it.
@al I'm sure you know a man who could braze up a smooth set of forks for you...

Back