Do you people wear helmets and gloves??

Some do, some don't. I wear one if I am offroading, because when doing that sort of riding due to my heady mix of ineptitude and cowardice there is a strong likelihood I'll fall off.

For touring I wear a wide brimmed hat and in winter I wear a wooly hat. If you are run over by a car, I don't see how a helmet will help, frankly.

Here's the problem, though. If we start talking about helmets, we are saying that cycling is intrinsically dangerous, when it isn't, and it's yet another thing that makes cyclists look even less like "normal" people. I think that puts off a lot of would-be cyclists off our great hobby.

I propose we change get the forum software to filter out words like h*lmet and p*ncture. :p

I wonder if Natasha Richardson would have classed 'just skiing along on a green run' as particularly dangerous before an apparently minor bump to the head killed her?

chris667":3go4ndia said:
For touring I wear a wide brimmed hat and in winter I wear a wooly hat. If you are run over by a car, I don't see how a helmet will help, frankly.

Here's the problem, though. If we start talking about helmets, we are saying that cycling is intrinsically dangerous, when it isn't, and it's yet another thing that makes cyclists look even less like "normal" people. I think that puts off a lot of would-be cyclists off our great hobby.

I propose we change get the forum software to filter out words like h*lmet and p*ncture. :p

This argument has come up a few times in this thread and no one has addressed it...it's not that wearing a helmet will stop you breaking other bones in your body if you are hit by a car, but it will improve your chances of survival as head injuries are more often fatal than not. Saying "I'm not wearing a helmet because it won't protect my spine" as a cyclist is a bit like a police man saying "I'm not wearing a stab vest because I might get shot in the head and it won't save me". It doesn't make any sense as an argument.

The argument about helmets making cycling look less attractive as a sport are also flawed, it's like saying we should not force people to wear seat belts in cars because it makes driving look to dangerous. People know the risks associated with riding a bicycle and make a decision about wearing a helmet accordingly. It is a personal choice and I wouldn't change that or choose not to ride with someone who doesn't wear a lid. I just don't understand why they wouldn't.

chris667":2kocpdv0 said:
If you are run over by a car, I don't see how a helmet will help, frankly.

i really cant see that you believe that!

my mate got hit by a car and totally destroyed his helmet. he had cuts, bruises, concussion and a broken leg. he was hit by a car at 60mph and medical staff told him his helmet saved his life.

he was on road obviously.

i agree there is more chance I will make an error and fall off off road, but on road you are butting yourself at the mercy of others who may make the mistakes for you.

BarneyRubble":2ufgk2k2 said:
This argument has come up a few times in this thread and no one has addressed it...it's not that wearing a helmet will stop you breaking other bones in your body if you are hit by a car, but it will improve your chances of survival as head injuries are more often fatal than not. Saying "I'm not wearing a helmet because it won't protect my spine" as a cyclist is a bit like a police man saying "I'm not wearing a stab vest because I might get shot in the head and it won't save me". It doesn't make any sense as an argument.

The argument about helmets making cycling look less attractive as a sport are also flawed, it's like saying we should not force people to wear seat belts in cars because it makes driving look to dangerous. People know the risks associated with riding a bicycle and make a decision about wearing a helmet accordingly. It is a personal choice and I wouldn't change that or choose not to ride with someone who doesn't wear a lid. I just don't understand why they wouldn't.

Yes, but the for the kind of head injury you are likely to recieve in a collision with a car, I still don't see how a h*lmet would help. With rotational injuries, where your head is twisted round as you hit the ground and are much more likely to kill you.are the ones you have to watch out for, with these a h*lmet may actually make things worse.

And I'm not talking about cycling as a sport, I'm talking about cycling as a normal activity. In the UK we seem to need special equipment for cycling, but in countries where cycling is more widespread, no-one does. And I really think the lycra-clad, helmet and sunglass wearing cyclist is an image that puts normal people off taking up our great hobby.

when you are hit by a car a lehmet helps by protecting your head against solid objects. like the car. and the ground.

i wear what i feel comfortable in, never felt the need for a helmet but then i dont race or ride very hard. if i were to start riding off cliffs or on half pipes then i would wear one. im a big boy now (so ive been told ;) ) and know the risks, smoking gives you lung cancer but i still smoke :?
tintin if you were bleeding by the side of the trail i would happly help you out. though you might have bled to death by the time i caught up with you. :D

lewis1641":2rmglpb4 said:
when you are hit by a car a lehmet helps by protecting your head against solid objects. like the car. and the ground.

No.
A helmet protects against linear impact by slowing down the rate at which your head makes contact with the ground. It only works at low speeds, like when you fall off your bike at 10mph.
At higher speeds, you are more likely to suffer what's known as a rotational head injury. This is where your head twists as it hits an object at speed, such as the car windscreen heading towards you at 50mph.
Helmets don't help at all here; because they effectively make your head wider the speed at which it rotates when it twists is faster, so there are a lot of arguments to suggest a helmet reduces your chances of survival at these speeds. There are some experimental helmets designed for motorcycling that have a second skin which slides off on impact, but because cyclists need well ventilated lids this is a technology that won't be coming over to bikes.
I'm sorry to say that if you are involved in an accident involving a car, the chances are you're stuffed, helmet or no.

This thread is boring. Everybody's an armchair expert. If you want to wear a helmet do, if you don't, then don't. I'm out of here, you lot can go round in circles debating this as long as you like. I'm off to ride my bike.... with a helmet on :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back