Do you notice extreme negative views of none retrobikers when you say you are trying to work with an older bike?

And budget!

When I first started cycling again fixed gear was the cheapest way I could do it. Certainly got me fit quickly.

I'll probably get roasted for this, but I'm going to say that we get push back from non-retrobikers because newer is better. Even when you compare like for like. There has been so much progress in braking systems, frame geometries - particularly around tire clearance and rider position, and cockpit design that its hard to beat a modern purpose built bike. Sure, I still love my vintage 80's bikes, but some of them are quite impractical. My Miyata 1000 touring bike - which I took on two tours this summer - can only take 35mm tires with fenders and lacks really good wet weather braking under loads. Heck, even the rack mounting braze ons suck. If I bought a modern touring bike I could fit 42mm or fatter tires with fenders and benefit from disc brakes to bring me and my load to a safe stop on wet days. My mountain bikes require fugly stems and riser bars to get me into a semi comfortable riding position and an upgrade to v-brakes for reasonable braking performance.

Don't know if I'm getting grumpier in my old age, but my bike collection is definitely getting younger and the old ones are only taken out on sunny days and not ridden in anger any longer.

Back