Do you notice extreme negative views of none retrobikers when you say you are trying to work with an older bike?

We usually pick a different area every week, chuck the bikes in the car and drive up to an hour from home. I’ve got plenty of routes near to home but it’s nice to get a change of scenery.

Depending on the surface it can be a lot harder work than riding on the road. 25 miles last week of mostly wet grass and some fields feels more like 50 miles on roads to me!

People say that going lower than 18 gear inches is 'pointless' but this seems another great example of where dropping lower than normal saves you when you are 'bonked' as they call it.

That reminds me of a green road/bridlepath I went down and up day before. It was only a small section between normal roads but it was very challenging!

Not least because as I entered there was a large dog staring at me and as soon as I got next to it it decided to chase me and even nipped at my ankle but thankfully didn't do it hard. The owner had it off the lead and was running up about 20 metres further down. She didn't even apologize! Just sad 'bad dog' or somesuch. That is the second time I have been chased by a dog in the last few weeks.

I was going pretty fast down by the time I passed here and the terrain was big round rocks so jumping all over the place. That was manageable enough with due care and attention but the going back up was the real hard bit!

It was a steepish valley so once at the bottom was the climb up. In this case not even my granny gear could help me as it was deep old muddy track indents with more of those big round rocks dotted about and other similar obstackes. This meant I was unable to get any kind of rhythm up or if I did I would immediately get spat out to one side or another if hitting a bump.

It was embarrassing, only getting a meter or two at a time and back to a stop. Had to push it mostly until it got to more grassy and smooth for the final section.

People say that going lower than 18 gear inches is 'pointless' but this seems another great example of where dropping lower than normal saves you when you are 'bonked' as they call it.

That reminds me of a green road/bridlepath I went down and up day before. It was only a small section between normal roads but it was very challenging!

Not least because as I entered there was a large dog staring at me and as soon as I got next to it it decided to chase me and even nipped at my ankle but thankfully didn't do it hard. The owner had it off the lead and was running up about 20 metres further down. She didn't even apologize! Just sad 'bad dog' or somesuch. That is the second time I have been chased by a dog in the last few weeks.

I was going pretty fast down by the time I passed here and the terrain was big round rocks so jumping all over the place. That was manageable enough with due care and attention but the going back up was the real hard bit!

It was a steepish valley so once at the bottom was the climb up. In this case not even my granny gear could help me as it was deep old muddy track indents with more of those big round rocks dotted about and other similar obstackes. This meant I was unable to get any kind of rhythm up or if I did I would immediately get spat out to one side or another if hitting a bump.

It was embarrassing, only getting a meter or two at a time and back to a stop. Had to push it mostly until it got to more grassy and smooth for the final section.
My lowest gear is 34x50 which (only from my experience others may differ) is only really ok on a relatively smooth/stable surface when you’re climbing. It’s just too slow to get momentum and keep balance if the climbing is on rutted/ploughed/slippery surface. Last ride of just under 30 miles I’d guess I walked my bike up at least 1/2 mile. I’m not unfit just came a point where walking was faster than riding.

Ultimate 1st gear is always shank's pony

A bit of maths:

It's difficult to balance below 2mph, depends on surface obvs, Bike geometry and loading, and rider skill.

You can't pedal too fast at a super low speed or you'll fall off
(and look like an idiot)

So if we say cadence 60rpm, speed 1m/sec, that's around 30 rpm of the wheel (assuming around c2m circumference)-about 1to2, like 22 front, 44 rear?

Anyone ride a gear this small ?
Is it better than walking?
I mean at least you're sitting down!

I use the lowest I've got starting on a gradient when towing/loaded. That resistance buys you a ton extra balance at low speed, like cycling onto long grass. Lately Strava tells me our twice daily dog walk bimble sees the bike averaging less than 3mp/h, (never being pushed). Something my wife is working on is low speed, as it is her 'weak' point and she needs to get proficient enough for crowded paths, like the canals in London. Around 2mp/h is my happy place for accompanying strollers on foot. Gearing around 17 seems to be the most practical minimum that I 'need', but who ever settles for what they need?

I use the lowest I've got starting on a gradient when towing/loaded. That resistance buys you a ton extra balance at low speed, like cycling onto long grass. Lately Strava tells me our twice daily dog walk bimble sees the bike averaging less than 3mp/h, (never being pushed). Something my wife is working on is low speed, as it is her 'weak' point and she needs to get proficient enough for crowded paths, like the canals in London. Around 2mp/h is my happy place for accompanying strollers on foot. Gearing around 17 seems to be the most practical minimum that I 'need', but who ever settles for what they need?
18 is my current lowest. Having been on a few rides with this new bike now I would say that is bare minimum to get up slopes.

I was on an 11% today, not too steep you may say, but it was about a mile long. Not exactly the same all the way but it was all pretty steep.

I was ok with 18 but less will be nicer. Just having the option to dump into lower to recharge a bit will be handy.

I was looking in the gear calculator and it was interesting to see useable gears for my 2x9 setup which I should be getting soon once cassette comes. I say 2 because the outer ring is useless for me. I fail to see the point of pedaling when going downhill and will be taking that third ring off once I get the right chainring nuts/bolts for smaller spacing. Although I was skeptical of the 1x hype, when I looked at actual gears I can use with my 20-32, 11-28 setup it is like they say that the actual usable gears is only 13 so same as a 1x. Of course 2x was much cheaper to setup than it would for equivalent 13 speed setup so 2x makes sense for that alone but I see the logic in 1x now, over just 'buy the new thing they tell us to'.

This thread is far off OP be never mind I am just going with it. :D

1x can offer a similar overall range, but with 2 or 3x you get closer ratios, better value components and potentially less wear.
Horses for courses.
Ah I didn't think of the closer ratios aspect.

Anyway I am very happy with 2x, it is ideal for me really right now.

I have also got the hang of double shifting when moving from middle to 20t granny so it isn't a dramatic jump like if you only dumped into granny without a cassette shift as well. Looking on the chart the double click I had chosen correlated with about a one or two increment less on the chart so it matched up with how I had felt it out.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back