Dekerf Team SL 853 Single speed

Parts are arriving thick and fast. Just need the front hub, tyres, freewheel and grips. Some pics:

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1949.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

IMG_1950.jpg

Ok, so i'm taking my time with this.... At one point I had 5 different stems and 3 cranks all of which i couldn't decide upon. I've settled now on an 'all steel' cockpit and have some M900 cranks on the way (the middleburns just didn't seem right on this bike).

So i now have a lovely steel NOS salsa stem to go with the Nitto bars:

IMG_2032.jpg

woop woop, nice revision on the specs. i think you've kept to your priorities, which are the controls and drive train innit?!

if your up for a unsolicited chain suggestion, have a look at the KMC x1 or (as good but cheaper) Connexx nickel plated or stainless 3/32 chains. I've used either on my SS builds to great success and awesome longevity.

loved your comment about 'the angles' vs. weight ^^

good luck and will be watching with interest.

C

Thanks for the chain recommendations. I was thinking of KMC, either that or a sram PC1. I likethe idea of a stainless chain so may give it a look.

Yep i'm pretty much there spec wise now, so on that note:

Frame: Dekerf Team SL 853 Singlespeed

Fork: Kona Project 2 Triple butted

Headset: Cane Creek 40
Stem: Salsa Steel 120mm
Handlebar: Surly/Nitto torsion bar
Grips: ODi Vans
Barends: N/A

Brakes: Shimano DXR
Brake Pads: Shimano DXR
Brake Cables: Clarks Stainless
Cantilever cable hangers: N/A
Brake Levers: Shimano M739 XT

Shifters: Nope
Front Derailleur: Nope
Rear Derailleur: Nope
Derailleur Cables: Nope
Cassette: White Industries Eno SS Freewheel
Chain: Sram PC1/KMC
Cranks: Shimano XTR M900
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Surly Stainless 34t
Chainring bolts: Ison Stainless steel Single chainring
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55
Pedals: Shimano XT

Hub Skewers: Shimano XT front, WI bolts rear
Rims: Mavic XM719
Hubs: White industries Eno rear, Shimano XTR M910 front
Nipples: DT Swiss Brass 12mm
Spokes: DT Swiss competition Double butted
Tyres: Panaracer Cinder folding bead
Tubes: Continental

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite 1990
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.2 440mm
Seatpost Binder: Dekerf

Good to see this is still being appreciated. I loved that frame. Only got rid of it because I was seduced by bigger wheels and got a custom Pacenti single speed... which, to honest, is the only bike I've ever had that rides as well as the DeKerf did.

SteveW":s6sjuzo3 said:
Good to see this is still being appreciated. I loved that frame. Only got rid of it because I was seduced by bigger wheels and got a custom Pacenti single speed... which, to honest, is the only bike I've ever had that rides as well as the DeKerf did.

Cheers Steve

Looking forward to riding this.. in my first job as a mechanic in the 90's a regular had a Dekerf which i always loved, so i was very pleased to get this. I'm not usually this fussy building a bike but i'm taking my time.

Did Chris Dekerf build the frame for you Steve or had he already made it?

It was done before Chris had built any singlespeed frames officially. From what I can gather it was a new Team 853 that had damaged rear dropouts so Chris put singlespeed dropouts on it for me and resprayed it in 'Guinness brown with a creamy head'. I used it off and on for about 6 years. The respray was done by Argos Cycles in Bristol. I still have a collection of DeKerf graphics from the old importer if you ever need any

SteveW":840mpkgn said:
It was done before Chris had built any singlespeed frames officially. From what I can gather it was a new Team 853 that had damaged rear dropouts so Chris put singlespeed dropouts on it for me and resprayed it in 'Guinness brown with a creamy head'. I used it off and on for about 6 years. The respray was done by Argos Cycles in Bristol. I still have a collection of DeKerf graphics from the old importer if you ever need any

Thanks for the info! Its certainly a one off and I love it!! Hopefully it'll be ridden as intended for many more years.

And thanks for the offer of the graphics, i'll keep that in mind :D I've no plans to change the frame itself too much but who knows....

I'll build the wheels tomorrow if I get all my scheduled repairs done (and if we have the spokes....)

Now if only I could find (or remember) if any one ever made a nice, quality steel seat post... i can't think of anyone.. would be nice to fit in with the steel 'theme'. Its already not going to be a particularly light SS build so what the hell! :LOL:

Back