Dave Yates Diablo (A surprise birthday gift)

pistol13

Retro Guru
Well it was for sale on here and i've really wanted one for a long time but had no cash to make the purchase.
2361891279_363c7db60a_o.jpg

Anyway to cut a long story short my 12 year old nephew contacted the seller and bought it for me(with help from my girlfriend). Also came with a few handy extras so massive thanks to manitou916 for taking the sale seriously and selling the bike. I could not be happier.

NOW, All i want from you lovely forum members is as much diablo info as one man can handle, mag scans, your diablo pics, build advice(thinking british theme), anything really to quench my burning desire :D . Cheers Mick...

Nice one Mick - I too am building up a Diabolo recently purchased on here.

There are some reviews of the Diabolo from BITD on Dave's website which tend to suggest that Dave stuck any components he had lying around onto the test bikes at least - most seem to be LX group or XT. Stems tended to be a Zoom 130 or 135mm, and forks Project 2's from Kona.

I am picking mine up from Chas Roberts tomorrow as I wanted the rear wheel spacing widening from the original 130mm to 135mm otherwise the wheel options are severely restrictive.

These are not the lightest of frames - definite difference between the Diabolo and my DeKerf for instance, but they should be bombproof.

Here's my frame pictured before I bought it:

2348263240100194875S500x500Q85.jpg

Hope to get the build underway next weekend.

Little Bob":iprk63kn said:

Ah...thats where its gone!

I PM'd the seller a week or so back but never got a reply.....so I guessed it'd gone.

Its a beaut...good luck with the build ;)

ah - yes I remember now I read the reviews on his website not this one.

I love mine, just reconfiguring it at present with some P2's (it came with them which I stupidly sold for suspension, only to come back to rigid again!).

Mine's quite a big one 21.75" c-t and 24" top tube. Reasonably lightweight especially for its size.

Pickle":1inmyq9r said:
Little Bob":1inmyq9r said:

Ah...thats where its gone!

I PM'd the seller a week or so back but never got a reply.....so I guessed it'd gone.

Its a beaut...good luck with the build ;)

It is in great condition - especially for a 1991 frame (Dave confirmed it was from September '91 from the frame number).

It's going to be a bit of an eclectic mix of kit - NOS Syncros stem, Profile bars, XT chainset, thumbies and front mech, LX canti's and SS7 levers, XTR M950 rear mech and hubs with Mavic (forget which) rims, Smoke Lites.

Can't wait as I've got two builds on the go which are taking ages to collect all the bits, but seem to be getting there now.

Mine was specced as follows. Dave confirmed made in November 1994: LX groupset - gears, canti's, cranks (black with white lettering), Mavic 231 rims. Kona P2 forks painted to match. XT threaded 1" headset. Here is a picture of it before I got my mitts on it:

Attachments

• Dave Yates Diablo.jpg
    Dave Yates Diablo.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2,059
Little Bob":1qq1410u said:
It's going to be a bit of an eclectic mix of kit - NOS Syncros stem, Profile bars, XT chainset, thumbies and front mech, LX canti's and SS7 levers, XTR M950 rear mech and hubs with Mavic (forget which) rims, Smoke Lites.

Can't wait as I've got two builds on the go which are taking ages to collect all the bits, but seem to be getting there now.

Sound like it'll be a nice XC machine :D

I will have my '96 LTS with me hopefully Friday, so will be busy in the shed stripping her down soon to see what bits I'll need. Initially a 'whatever is lying around' build, but should be half decent non the less.

Awesome guys, loving all this diablo info. I'll check daves site now. Little bob don't forget to post some pics. Cannot wait to see how she looks

Back