Cycling in Normandy

sparkyewads

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Off to Normandy at easter time stopping Utah beach,
Has anyone got any information on routes (on or off road) or maps (paper or digital) and websites that could be of help?

Myself and a few friends are planning something similar from Calais to Dieppe and then on to gay París.

Be interested to see what others say too.

the michelin map of the area is your friend. Just ride, lots of nice countryside. Perhaps aim for small towns for an overnight stop. Bear in mind, away from the coast, its very hilly, not unlike some of the peak district. In fact part of it is known as little switzerland. When I say hilly, its ok for a seasoned cyclist, but the mrs found it quite hard (oo er missus)

I lived in Cherbourg for a year in 89-90 and started my mountain biking "career" there.

Lots to see in that area. Google "Fort du Roulé" in Cherbourg - it's off the beaten track and some good stories too. Had a good little museum when I was there.

MTB-wise I didn't find it so inspiring but it was all so new to me that I didn't know what to look for anyway.

Other things to check out:
Cider
Calvados
Cheese
The Peace museum near Cæn
Pointe du Hoc. Give yourselves a couple of hours for that walk. Even without the wartime stuff, it's pretty spectacular.

PM me if there is anything more you want to know.

sparkyewads":2yvhhpz8 said:
Has anyone got any information on routes (on or off road) or maps (paper or digital) and websites that could be of help?

Please update us on how you get on. I've been toying with doing something similar for a few years now ;)

sparkyewads":30ea6r7l said:

Turn up at the tourist info and ask for the maps of cycling in the area. I was there last summer, and they were most helpful. If I can find some of the things I got from there, I'd be more than happy to post them to you.

Back