'Cycles Bolley' Do I have the only one?

Rothchild

Dirt Disciple
I recently found the perfect opportunity to get a vintage ride back in to my stable, by way of a nice 1979 Alan Record.

There were a few things that didn't add up about it (or at least pointed to it having been referbished and restickered at some point) largely that it's clearly stamped 79 for the manufacture date, but the 'World Champs' sticker on the seatpost went up to '85 (I don't believe their predictive powers were that good! ;-))

So, as I'm fettlin' and cleaning my new toy I realised that I could see the 'burn through' of an older set of decals and that my Alan didn't leave the shop as an Alan (not uncommon, Alans were rebadged as all sorts of things). Mine is a 'Cycles Bolley'.

Now, not only is this new to the people who track this sort of stuff (https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/945909-re-branded-alan-frames-list-7.html#post23344507) but it seems that Cycles Bolley is completely absent from the internet (or at least the bits I can reach!).

There was a pro rider called Serge Bolley between about '67 - '72 so I'm wondering if he set up a bike shop in his retirement and this many have some connection to him? (Having given the bike a test run it's new name 'Deadly Serge' seems entirely appropriate, so I sort of hope there is a link)

Anyway, I wonder if anyone on these boards has encountered a 'Cycles Bolley' (rebadged Alan or otherwise)?

Attachments

• cycles bolley#.jpg
    cycles bolley#.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 19
Back