Custom MTB

You could get a shorter stem with a bit of rise then some riser handle bars and you should be good to go! Rear hub can be easily changed by a wheel builder.

Roox stem and seatpost also worth something, not sure about UK prices, but they are nice items.

JT1, Do you still have the original rear wheel with the cracked hub? I ask because looking at the front you have the highly sought after Mavic SUP Ceramic rim. Having both rims available as a pair is a good thing ;)

I’m not sure where I went wrong with the rear wheel. I think I may have been talked in to a new rear wheel with my cassette as the cheapest option.

This has been an education!

I was thinking this is so out of date it’s not going to be worth much at all, and even though I might still only get around the original price of the frame only for the whole thing - it’s still far more than I would have expected!

I’ve looked at hybrids on line and in just one shop so far, Halfords - and if I put the same again to a new bike - let’s say a £1400 job, I don’t think it could be any better than this and it certainly wouldn’t have an XTR groupset.

So now I’m thinking I have a stem for sale! I will change it, it needs doing anyway, then I’ll see.

I obviously got my dates wrong in my first post but I do know it didn’t get built until after 2000 - so that would be the date of first registration so to speak - and then it spent 20 years gathering dust in the garage.

What a great forum this is - thanks for all your help.

Retrobike is also a great resource for finding rare old parts so you might be able to find a matching rear rim and hub here if the original is lost in the wild.

It really is a fantastic bike, your very lucky :)

Well, I bought a 60mm stem with a 35 degree rise and it’s made a huge difference.

It’s a keeper!

I’ll put the old stem up - there’s some finish missing, so maybe £30???

Attachments

• IMG_9538.jpeg
    IMG_9538.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9537.jpeg
    IMG_9537.jpeg
    584.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9536.jpeg
    IMG_9536.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 6
Back