Current HG50 7spd Cassettes

LGF - can you share any recommendations (especially for cassettes and 110 BCD chainrings)? I'm not bothered by brand - really just cost, reliability and compatibility.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

That Sugino's a thing of beauty. Love the arty shot with the reflected colour pens! A 50T or 48T version would seal the deal for me.

Re:

For 7 speed cassettes, my favourite combinations are 13-30 or 14-32. Easy to find in most German online shops below 15 EUR.

For chainrings, until Shimano recently (and stupidly) changed their crankset to those proprietary asymmetrical 4 arm cranks (nice only for bending big chainrings and reduce choice of spares) their compact range have the small ring in 5 arm/110 bcd, mostly in the 34t option.

The cyclocross range also has 5 arm/110 bcd and there you can also find 36T small rings and 46T for the big ring (and, extra tip for those like me using a retrobike as commuter, a chainguard to attach to the big ring to protect the trousers).

Re: Re:

Titiritero":1pzp9mf3 said:
(and, extra tip for those like me using a retrobike as commuter, a chainguard to attach to the big ring to protect the trousers).

please tell me more.

Re:

cce":ys41clgd said:
please tell me more.

Easy. Cyclocross due to the difficulty of the terrain where it's used offers more compact gearing (usually 46/36T or similar). Also, the low range of the road components usually also have compact gearing and practical solutions like chainguards. I guess Shimano thinks (probably correctly) that Dura-Ace is for the Freds and Sora, Claris, etc. is for the normal people that actually use the bike outside sunny Sundays.

If you check online for those groups, you can find chainrings like FC-2450 or FC-3550 in 46T version, and also chainguards to match. One example:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-clar ... prod36340/
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-clar ... prod38676/

Those chainguards are extremely effective, despite their simplicity. I have one on my touring bike (FC-M430 crankset) and my working suit has not been caught up with the chainrings ever.

And another advantage of going with the Shimano low range. At least on the Claris, Alivio and Acera groupsets, the chainrings are steel. They last waaaay longer than the fancy aluminium ones on the higher range, while being cheaper. Win-win.

Back