Current HG50 7spd Cassettes

lazyrabbit

Retro Guru
I'm tend to worry about wear on my old components, so it's comforting to know that I can replace stuff like the drivetrain with new.

On new Shimano HG50's they have now got a nickel finish on all 7 rings, as the 90s Deore LX-standard HG70 did, and this is different to the vintage ones which have got a brown finish on the first 6.

It got me wondering. Manufacturers obviously want to wind up their production of older models, and to do this Shimano already merged the UN50 and UN70 bb's into the UN5x ... so by merging the appearance of the HG50 and HG70 have they not done a similar thing?

In my mind this is a boon to retro riders because they are pretty cheap and get a slight increase in quality. How good are these new HG50's and do you regret not being able to get a replacement new HG70 cassette, or even a UN70 bb?

More info: http://www.bikepro.com/products/freewhe ... mcass.html
The product on sale (price varies a lot, this is one of the cheapest): http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cs-hg50 ... 60494137uk

Re:

Being able to keep an old 26 incher running as an everyday bike through all seasons is a challenge. Being able to find all the correct obscurely dimensioned replacements is a worry, as I'd like to keep riding the bike for another decade at least hopefully.

When you find stuff, particularly when on offer or at good prices, it's best to stock up with the long term in mind. Modern 26 inch tyres are generally too fat for the old frame so finding 2 or 2.1 inch is tricky. Seatposts of 26.8mm are pretty hard to come by although I managed to find a 2-bolt/in-line Brand-X post a couple of years back and it's still solid. I've had to upgrade to v-brakes and at some point, those will probably become obsolete. 110bcd 5 bolt rings aren't mainstream – so invested in Surly stainless steel ring when I found one.

With cassettes, I really need a 7-speed to suit the chain line and to match up indexing with the old Shimano 7-speed thumbies. Been running a £9.99 CSHG20 12-28 as a change from a shiny HG41 8-speed but I'm not totally over awed by the quality of the HG20, although it's cheap, quite light and runs fast – could buy 50 quids worth of these to keep running for a while.

I am using Commuter tyres so I never have that problem. And you should consider this HG50 then as it is the same price. IRD also appear to do a quality one in that it is more expensive. Don't know much about it. The only possible improvement is that the finish is brighter. Chains, still the HG71 is being manufactured and pretty easy to get for £13.

Seatpost is the kind of thing that I don't believe will wear out. Cantis also I don't believe will wear out. Stems/bars - some of the olds ones are made of steel (mine are) so I'm just going to have that refinished when the patina is too much. Chainrings. Sugino are manufacturing new ones I think. That's the last one that I bought, new. I have converted to single chainring to simplify that problem.

In general though, we have to put up with lower quality. But maybe the industry will go back to 7 spd once they realise that the new 11spd stuff will only last about 5 minutes :mrgreen:

Re:

Most of my riding these days is commuter based but I do cover a variety of surfaces and conditions from smooth tarmac to pot holed badly maintained roads and woodland trails en route, so I still need some chunky wheel set ups.

The splines that lock the saddle clamp in place on my Zoom seatpost have worn smooth so I had to find any kalloy type post to keep riding. The single bolt on it sheared after a month of use whilst on the road, ditching me on my derrière in the middle of traffic. I then got the 2 bolt Brand-X which seems to be more secure and robust.

The coiled springs on my cantis became worn and damaged but I couldn't find replacements to fit or strong enough to work so I converted to Vs – which have actually been a revelation.

Bitd, I started off with a 7x3 set up. Now, I'm just running one chainring and a 7-speed cassette. I've got a couple of cassettes with different ranges for commuting or off-road. Unless you trying to climb where only wild goats can get to, I find that 1x7 is all you need really not 9, 10, 11 speeds. Well may be a 2x7, if you live in the wilderness. It would be nice to quality 7-speed kit that acknowledges the retro and vintage scene and that also people would generally prefer a simpler set up that works reliably.

I'm experimenting with different options at the moment so I going to look into some of your points.

Re: Re:

groovyblueshed":2dbrav2w said:
I'm experimenting with different options at the moment so I going to look into some of your points.
Just started testing this out as well. Used to be 3x7 but my front shifter packed in so rather than hassle of replacing it, I've just removed front derailleur.
Seems a bit tricky becuase you can't go below a 34T with 110BCD chainring and I go up lots of hills but really like the simplicity.

Re:

Do you use a chain guide on your 1 x 7 set ups?

I really like the idea and simplicity of 1 x 7 but those things are ugly. And cost money.

I only do XC btw - not jumps, tricks and other shenanigans :)

Re:

Yeah, love the simplicity too. Not sure if we really need all those dozens of gears.

I'm slightly torn over removing the front derailleur and shifter completely as I feel it could spoil the retro look of the bike but really, all my front mech is now is just a chain retention device for the single Surly ring (46T) – I'm not confident enough yet about whether the chain will fly off. Been considering a modern chain device instead (to bolt on to the seat tube). Because of the practicalities of my chain line, I've had to settle for a 7-speed with one ring, which I've had to bolt inboard on the crank to optimise the chain line. Not a tidy solution but at some point it will be resolved.

What I'd really like to be able to do is custom build a cassette with 7 cogs that could cover from a hill climb to a flat-out cruise on level tarmac – when combined with a 50T ring!

I took my shiny old vintage DX derailleur off as the chain kept slipping and after one day when the mech just came apart all over the road. Since then, I've been running a modern M772 XT rear mech. With the mileage I do, I've been through two of these in six years. The DX still has all its original bits but I just keep it in a crate with other bits and look at it every now and then. Thing is, all the M772 XT is simple, bombproof and reliable, I much prefer the shiny elegance of the old DX derailleurs. With this in mind, I've been considering some components from: http://sunxcd.net/

I've just kept the middle front chainring and I'm not using a guard.
Not had any problems with the chain slipping off and generally it feels a smoother and less clattery ride.
I personally like the cleaner look without the front mech and makes it a teeny bit lighter.
I've got a 12-32T on the back with original Exage derailleur and 38T on the front but I'm going to fiddle around with some variations to make it more hill friendly.

Re:

Thanks for sharing your wisdom both. I think I'm going to start without one and see how often it happens.

I have a 42t Surly ring. Was going to pair it with a 12-32 which should suffice. It is quite hilly where I live but might as well give it a go.

Got a 1996 Stumpjumper as the target bike. Should work well with this.

I hardly use shimano as a direct replacement for worn parts. There are so many alternatives. I have a modern bike with not a single shimano or sram part yet it's hyperglide, indexed and 110 bcd chainrings. There is no trouble with supply of any part unless you have something really obscure.

Back