COOL WALL is back - Yeti C-26 cool or not?

COOL WALL is back - Yeti C-26 cool or not?

• Cool

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • OK

• Uncool

• Total voters
GoldenEraMTB":4g10plgp said:
exclusivity is the key to long term coolness...otherwise it's just trendy.

You could argue the whole Retrobike 'phenomenon' is just trendy. Will it continue once all of us who lived through the halcyon days of MTB are too old to care?

Also, some things become too exclusive to be cool. It's fine for something to be aspirational, but when it essentially pure unobtanium then I think it's different.

What is a true C-26?

i believe in fixies":p4tns5ud said:
I doubt any of this would impress Kristin Scott Thomas.

It may well impress Kristin Yeti Thomas though...

...I'll get my coat....

....again :roll:

Tallpaul":1jo8hwqb said:
GoldenEraMTB":1jo8hwqb said:
exclusivity is the key to long term coolness...otherwise it's just trendy.

You could argue the whole Retrobike 'phenomenon' is just trendy. Will it continue once all of us who lived through the halcyon days of MTB are too old to care?

Also, some things become too exclusive to be cool. It's fine for something to be aspirational, but when it essentially pure unobtanium then I think it's different.

What is a true C-26?

warhol.jpg

$71.7 million for this painting; it's cool...but fairly unobtainable, along with a few other Warhols ;)

imo, the truly vintage/classic mountain bikes built by hand in small numbers will always be cool and retain if not increase their value.

Seriously liquid nitrogen cool, just don't stick your tongue on it.

Can't understand how people are still up in arms about the value though. this is a place for fans of old bikes- we should understand why it went so high and be able to look across at the art buff, horographer or the car collector and say 'So, just how many millions would it cost you to get your Holy Grail?' with a smug grin.

Compared to other forms of collecting, that Yeti, being top shelf was a snip at that price IMO.

Dr S":1wl7egbx said:
Seriously liquid nitrogen cool, just don't stick your tongue on it.

Can't understand how people are still up in arms about the value though. this is a place for fans of old bikes- we should understand why it went so high and be able to look across at the art buff, horographer or the car collector and say 'So, just how many millions would it cost you to get your Holy Grail?' with a smug grin.

Compared to other forms of collecting, that Yeti, being top shelf was a snip at that price IMO.

agreed

Hmmm an interesting one...

Lets think about it a bit:

Tomac Rode one, but he also rode/raced lots of shitty bikes, so that's no help.

They are fagile and fall apart, so not great as a rider.

They are rare, so if you turn up for a ride or race no one is going to have the same ride as you.

However, if you did turn up to a ride or race with one, all you'd attract is a mass of late 30s + blokes (mostly called Gerald), who think its still ok to wear lycra even though there's 50% more of then since their 20s, going over your bike making all sorts of statements about the bonding of carbon tubes to metal lugs and the types of adhesives used back in the day.

So on that basis alone (and adopting a Clarkson demi god pose) your've all wrong and the C-26 is Seriously Uncool.

Now before anyone starts arguing otherwise...

The guy that bought the one on eBay probably has it mounted on the wall in his house maybe even over his bed... But when he invites that available 19 yo around to his for a "coffee", all she's going to think is he's a bit of a wanker. So its still seriously uncool ;)

I'm going in the direction of uncool.
Cannot really judge this iconic beast subjectively, as I have not ridden one, and will likely never ride one. I can, however, summise that the person who plonked down that much money on one will not tell you it rode like a piece of poo, even if it did. It is a bike, a tool, not art, nor any other form of rationalisation as to why it should cost so much more than similar things, and still be percieved as money well spent. I'm going to spend my 12K on a fleet of custom frames, one for any occaision. And no, I will not meet someone riding the same bike as me either. Chalk it up as an Australian trait of questioning anything touted as 'the ultimate' when the assesment is based on opinion and heresay.
-Pete.

what is art

While not being my sort of thing, which is lucky due to the economy, I have tried to look at the above bike subjectively. I tried not to think of the evilbay price, the bonding issues, etc, but more focused a bit of history, cool riders back in the day etc. I came to the conclusion that if someone showed up to a ride on it then I probably would be thinking 'cool bike'
That being said and also that it doesnt do much for me in the desirability stakes, I dont see it as art, more as arse jewellery ;)

Jamie

rubbish

just for the fact that some stupid sodder payed that price on ebay for this, it will be forever just as cool as a ford scorpio from around 97.

Tioga discs are subzero, but this is just as someone said a hairdressers ride, it's not worth the money. That's just embarrising, it's a nice bike but nothing special.

Back