cool/ different stem caps

elPedro666":15wbvt5k said:
theredchili":15wbvt5k said:
Mint Sauce ones are pretty cool, theres one up for sale right now

I've just been looking - if you mean Beshroomed they're gone I'm afraid :(

I cannot remember where i saw it , for some reason, I really like it though !

Re: Custom Stem Caps

02gf74":1g3wtzcz said:
martybmw3":1g3wtzcz said:
Whilst not really retro i am just looking at starting to provide custom Titanium stem caps, any size and any text, so long as it will fit on the stem. Anyone interested? How much would people be happy to spend? I dont have exact costs yet but i think for a custom cap in Titanium it is going to come out at about £15-20 all in with shipping.

after positing negativity about your 3D bottle cage, I'm about to do the same here. :oops: sorry.

you can disagree with me if you want but you need to think of the purpose of the cap and the market for them.

the cap is used to take the play out of the headset races and after the stem bolts are done up, it is the bolts that keep the whole assembly together, the stem cap is a failsafe but it is not necessary (check out weight weenies to see bikes run without the cap).

The market you would be looking at is:
1. bike decorators - those that want to customise their bike to make it look different
2. weight weenies - those how wnan to lose weight from their bike.

I cannot speak for 1 but for 2, (being a bit of a WW myself) there are aluminium alloy as well as carbon caps that I reckon will be lighter and cheaper than Ti caps so I am predicitng there will not be a lot of demand.

(BTW I have had parts made up purley to help others out and sold on a non-profit bases)

Hopefully for your sake I am proved wrong and you will make a fortune and subsequently retire in luxury.

I think you are missing the point. It is not about weight or strength it is the fact that these are custom made to have whatever logo you want. It seems a few people have already done this by having them engraved. I am not doing this to make me rich, i am an engineer who loves cycling and am running this as a way to promote 3D printing and show how many applications there are for it. Check my company (day job) website, it is impressive stuff. www.3trpd.co.uk

martybmw3":1h3l7ogh said:
Whilst not really retro i am just looking at starting to provide custom Titanium stem caps, any size and any text, so long as it will fit on the stem. Anyone interested? How much would people be happy to spend? I dont have exact costs yet but i think for a custom cap in Titanium it is going to come out at about £15-20 all in with shipping.

Now that the argument about style and topcaps goes on fine without me I would like to add another use of such a custom cap. We are missing some nice looking caps to replace the odd style Syncros stem caps that is often missing. Or just to replace the crappy looking plastic ones that came on the last ones...

Yetidh9":2tm4c4sm said:
martybmw3":2tm4c4sm said:

Now that the argument about style and topcaps goes on fine without me I would like to add another use of such a custom cap. We are missing some nice looking caps to replace the odd style Syncros stem caps that is often missing. Or just to replace the crappy looking plastic ones that came on the last ones...
If you can send me a picture of the sort of thing you want i will see what i can do. I can also provide plastic ones and they will only be a few quid.

martybmw3":1dp9k862 said:
Yetidh9":1dp9k862 said:
martybmw3":1dp9k862 said:

If you can send me a picture of the sort of thing you want i will see what i can do. I can also provide plastic ones and they will only be a few quid.

here is a few pics form the net (some here from retrobike..).

Attachments

• niner top cap2.jpg
    niner top cap2.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 247
  • syncros cap1.png
    syncros cap1.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 247

Yetidh9":2fglb0sn said:
martybmw3":2fglb0sn said:
Yetidh9":2fglb0sn said:
martybmw3":2fglb0sn said:

here is a few pics form the net (some here from retrobike..).

They look simple enough, i would need to know the angle of the cap but if you wanted them in a glass filled nylon with a custom text then they would be pretty cheap. I cant say a price else i will get in trouble with the powers that be at retrobike but not a lot of money.

I personallay dont really miss one at the moment. But people do trend to look after these. And I dont see that £10ish would make people step down on a deal as the stems are a classic pice of mtb kit

martybmw3":2eicii34 said:
I think you are missing the point. It is not about weight or strength it is the fact that these are custom made to have whatever logo you want. It seems a few people have already done this by having them engraved. I am not doing this to make me rich, i am an engineer who loves cycling and am running this as a way to promote 3D printing and show how many applications there are for it. Check my company (day job) website, it is impressive stuff. www.3trpd.co.uk

nope, I didn't miss the point - I covered the above in point 1.

I belong to the second group - function before looks, but if it looks good, then that is a bonus.

Back