Converting 26in to 27in circumference 650b tyre size.

M-Power

Old School Grand Master
Has anybody tried to stick 26in 2.5 wide tyres on a Retrobike and how does the ride / handling compare to a modern std 650b bike ? A quick Google indicates a 26in 2.5 tyre circumference is the same as a 650b tyre, ie. its gains an inch.

:?

Re:

Not a 2.5 but I ride a folding 2.3 Schwalbe Super Moto on the road/gravel.

Not used a full off-road tire but for what my experience is worth; the Super Moto's and a rigid fork is great for gravel at lower psi. The increased volume cuts some of the force out of the rougher stuff and I feel pretty confident on them at speed.

On the road (at a high psi) they roll really well and hold the tarmac. I ride a lot in heavy traffic and I'm happy with them stopping quickly in a straight line.

The down side is that increased size does dull steering response and you need a bit of time to get use to that. Cornering at speed can sometimes be a mixed bag, I've had a few moments when I've been caught out and the front will start slip unexpectedly. I think this is probably to do with the higher side walls.

I'll let other people discuss contact area and rolling resistance and what it does to gearing ratio's but I find that I can get to speed well and overall effort to maintain it is reduced.

I run some seemingly massive sounding 2.5 and 2.4 and they roll nicely over skinny old off-road tyres. The ride height is up a bit because of the overall circumference and they just work. Running bikes that have early 90's tyres is hard work when comparing the exact same bike on big 26" stuff. I've never like running bikes on original tyre designs because some were truly awful but there have also been some surprises.

But, the geeky nerdy RB but: 650b has been around a very long long time, please dont get sucked into the marketing that its all new and shiny but it does make 26" stuff cheaper!

I have fallen in love with 650b off-road tourers!

1952 Rene Herse

herse52.jpg

'eres me big tyres, and another hidden in the store

Attachments

• big tyres.jpg
    big tyres.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 782
  • bigger tyres.jpg
    bigger tyres.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 782
Re:

Digging that 1952 Rene Herse and the Schwalbe super mito tyre :cool: .

There's not much in it, actually only an inch, so I reckon there can't be too much performance difference. Tbh I just can't stand the look of modern bikes. I'd rather put 2.5 tyres on my Fats which have extra tyre clearance anyway.

Just a note on those Super Moto's if you can get hold of the pre-2013 tire they are much better! The tred blocks were thinner and the pattern far better than the current incarnation. See the pic.

I rang Schwalbe UK a few years ago to get some of the older units but they wanted £50 a tire and couldn't confirm which version they had at distribution.

Attachments

• Img2377_2.jpg
    Img2377_2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 757
Re:

Love those tyres. Tyre prices are getting crazy these days. It's one thing paying a premium for some uber rare mint white Porcs but they are up there with car tyres these days :shock:

My wife rides a '97 Hardrock AX that I've been modernizing for her as her skills grow. She rides a 2.3" Purgatory on the rear and it works wonderfully on that frame.

On my ride, a '95 Stumpjumper, it doesn't clear the stays well... No mud clearance. On front, it's impossible with my FSX fork, even a 2.0 Specialized The Captain buzzes the crown at full compression.

J

Re:

Anybody tried this conversion on a retro ride off road ? Does the higher side wall cause issues on cornering eg ?

If it fits in the frame and fork, it'll be a non-issue. Clearances are about the whole problem.

Run too low a pressure and it'll get squirmy, especially with very narrow rims. Height changes from sidewall height are pretty minimal (under 15mm).

J

Back