Confession time.....I'm gravel curious !

LGF - hmm that’s a fine selection of Reynolds‘ tubin….

(and a nice collection of components of course, too)

Interested to know what V brakes they are that allow the pads to be mounted so high for the 700c rims. I can imagine the pad being mounted up so high makes the V's more compatible with regular road levers but what is the braking like? lever travel? stopping from a brisk mph? etc compared to v's in normal mode.

This was the first option, but it´s poor quality and stopping power lead to plan B.

The B Plan:

The A plan offers better tire clearance than B ( Hutchinson Mamba 700 x 38 ), but the braking is quite to very good (Ultegra 6500 levers) with the B plan.

Just google "litepro v brake extension" there are plenty of sites to buy´em.

Last edited:
Back to the OP, it is a bugger. I would recommend an old Rock Lobster Ti frame could be interesting for your size, or dare I say it some
old Cannondale to play around with. The gravel thing I think is a good thing when you know full well you are not going to do jumps across the Grand Canyon, but it is considerably over-hyped when we all know the raw ingrediants are out there for peanut money.

Frankly, I just can't get my head around why 26" Monster Cross came to an evolutionary dead end. It ticks so many boxes.

Not mentioned so far, but considering your vital statistics another way is just say sod it and treat yourself to something custom.

Well! Young man! That's the first and last time i hope my vital statistics will be discussed on the internet!

But yes, i have considered the custom route.....but cheap it is not!

I've had a few modern gravel and CX bikes, but An old Cannondale mtb works quite well, and was quite light, even better if the Headshok has a lockout.
I actually used an old Cannondale Touring bike from 1998/99 with Headshock, and that thing was quite good, long wheelbase.
IMG_20200927_171100_copy_1945x1281.jpg

But I found I couldn't help but explore the rougher singletrack, the mtb trails etc and wanted bigger tyres, more suspension, and well.... I'd be better off on a flat bar Mtb.

Yes...its very circular argument.

As for why 26" died......well that simple...everybody had bought one and there were plenty second hand......how the hell was that going to help them sell new bikes!

Touch cynical.....possibly...but i cant help thinking its true.

Back