Complete rebuild of 1990's MTB to 2016 XT spec 1x10

The problem is, that the TO doesn't seem to know just how bad those brakes are. And that he won't be able to choose any other brake because the frame and fork misses the bosses. Its really not about the brake levers. It's about not beeing able to use V-brakes or disks. But its too late now. Would have been something to tell him before painting.

Thias":229rjt9t said:
The problem is, that the TO doesn't seem to know just how bad those brakes are. And that he won't be able to choose any other brake because the frame and fork misses the bosses. Its really not about the brake levers. It's about not beeing able to use V-brakes or disks. But its too late now. Would have been something to tell him before painting.

Why is that a problem? There are plenty of decent mid range calipers out there should he wish to upgrade.

Are there? Witch one do you have in mind?
Roadbike-calipers won't fit the tyres. And they are all bad because of the single point fixture, imho.

Re:

Wouldnt something like Tektros r369 be ok? Has a quick release for easy removal of the wheel. bartsince75 posted earlier about the adaptors to use bmx U brakes too.

Doesn't sound like newrider is going to be requiring a lot of braking power, I'm sure the originals will be fine for what he needs.

They don't look like they will allow for tyres larger than 1,75"...
And yes, they will kind of stop the bike at some point... But it will not be satisfying, imho.

I happen to know a few guys that wanted to get into biking and started out with a road bike/ crosser. They came with calipers (Shimano) and I added them some straight bars. They all complained about the brakes after a few months. Witch resulted in them buying a different frame or bike.

Nuff said. I'll stop ranting now. :roll:

Re:

These are available on amazon. They're aluminum so they won't bend under heavy braking and they will fit a mountain bike tire. There are many others that are similar. Brake pads can also be changed to help too. This isn't a big issue. He should probably change to something like this however before trying to go too fast or taking it on a legitimate single track trail.

Attachments

• brakes.jpg
    brakes.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 471
I'm as enthralled by this build as everyone else, brilliant!
I do share the concerns about the brakes others have mentioned, but if they do cause you a problem I'm rather hoping you engineer some kind of beautiful CNC'd brace to make them perform well instead of upgrading!

Your creation really is looking fantastic, and I bet it will ride better than any Apollo has the right to! What kind of riding are you thinking of doing? I only ask because slick or semi slick tyres will make the world of difference with regards to the efficiency of the machine if you don't plan to offroad it too often.

street":72vwesj1 said:
I'm as enthralled by this build as everyone else, brilliant!
I do share the concerns about the brakes others have mentioned, but if they do cause you a problem I'm rather hoping you engineer some kind of beautiful CNC'd brace to make them perform well instead of upgrading!

Your creation really is looking fantastic, and I bet it will ride better than any Apollo has the right to! What kind of riding are you thinking of doing? I only ask because slick or semi slick tyres will make the world of difference with regards to the efficiency of the machine if you don't plan to offroad it too often.

Having just learnt to ride on this bike before it broke leading to this build project. I am planning to complete a 32 mile bike ride called the Big Wheelie in Herefordshire for charity. It is I believe mainly on the road so once the bike is finished I will be practising to get my confidence and ability up. Part of my practise will be riding around the Forest of Dean with a friend.

In regard to the brakes everyone seems to have their view. I have never ridden a bike hard yet and as of yet never placed any high demand on the brakes when they were in their original format. I find it hard to think that a pressed steel part that is 4mm thick is going to bend under braking so today I had a look at my front brake and tried messing around with them while it was wrapped up to protect the paint finish. ( Just to note my pressed brakes are around 25 years old, and nothing like as thin as those I have seen on some newer bikes)

As the wheel in essence is moving clockwise when moving forwards as you press the brake I was expecting the two brake arms to try and move towards the front of the bike under braking but nothing was evident. I then tried holding the bike tightly while then applying force directly to the back of the brake arm holding the brake pad. Under light and medium pressure nothing. If I gave it a lot more force the brake arm didn't try bending but their was some apparent flex in the plastic spacer / washer that sits between the two brake arm components. Is this the twisting action people are describing.

If so in the short term I will be living with it while i build up my confidence and saddle time. In the meantime once the bike is finished I plan on starting to redesign the brakes slightly to remove this element and create a much more elegant solution.

A big thank you to everyone looking at my build thread, its great getting the feedback and support.

An update...

Today has been I good one as I have fitted my new saddle. I have been really looking into saddles and was keen to try and something slightly different. Lots of people have Brooks saddles and having visited the dealer local to me I decided that this had to be the saddle. In the end I chose to go with the Brooks B17 standard in Black leather. Once the drive train is up and running I will adjust the seat and everything accordingly to suit my sitting position.

Some photos of the new hanger and the seat

Attachments

• IMG_3799.jpg
    IMG_3799.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_3798.jpg
    IMG_3798.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_3797.jpg
    IMG_3797.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_3794.jpg