Colnago SLX spiral conic

jason1788

Dirt Disciple
Look at this beauty I came across the other day. A terrible paint job, and forks missing, but good chrome and no dents, cracks or corrosion. It will have to go into storage until I can get round to working on it, but meantime I will seek out a chrome Precisia fork.
20241005_140926.jpg

I'm always wary of quality vintage race frames missing the fork, and run my fingers under the head lugs like the village idiot with a dead snake
- but a precisa fork is so desirable it could easily have been taken for a different job. (And this looks straight too, and I'm sure you checked)

At least it can have a short steerer - but it's rare to find one in nice condition under £200
- and you could buy a bike for that🤣
(not one of these though😃)

Still available new iirc🤯

Indeed you can still buy the straight precisia fork, they are €400 so no thanks! If I haven't come across a fork by the time I paint it, then it will have to go on the wall until I do find one. Which would be a shame.

Here you go! 😎

Classy!
It's one of those risky sevens: plating could be okay, or could come off it first time it sees bad weather. I bought a plated Italian frame a few years back, tarnished to buggery in 3 months 🤐 I picked up a decent Precise fork for 285 for a master project. They're pretty hard to find without rusted fork crowns....

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I bought this gold frame in a moment of total madness, it looked great for about a month .. My pal bought a Colnago Cx in Italy, which was supposed to be 'chrome' plated. Only in reality it absolutely wasn't. It was some kind of cheap pewter finish, which again looked okay for about 6 months then just faded to mush!

Who is it that gold-plates bike parts?

Wierdos that's who.

And Weirdos don't do a good job.
I know this from experience

Back in the 1980s the rather rare first series Colnago Mexico was built with Columbus Record tubing and often featured gilt plating. I write 'gilt' because I doubt that it was actual gold.

Back