Colnago Master Piu

NA

Dirt Disciple
This is a1991 Colnago Master Piu which is in exceptional condition given its age. It is a show bike from Italy and is believed to be from a dealership in Milan. It is not believed to have ever been on the road. In fact I am not sure it has ever had all the components fitted. It has a Campagnolo Super Record headset.

I have a 2010 Colnago Master but this older model has something else over and above the modern version. Of particular note is the seat cluster with its three point lug on the top tube, the stunning clover leaves cast into the bottom bracket shell, the clover leaf cast into the brake bridge and internal brake cable routing through the top tube. The other important point if you are looking to build a down tube shifter equipped bike of that era is the positioning of the bosses on the down tube – more modern frames either have the boss further up the down tube or no boss at all.
Real Colnago afficianados will also tell you the older steel is better.

The paint has a beautiful gloss for something that is 21 years old but it does have some marks which reflects 21 years in a bicycle shop or store – nothing to detract from its amazing beauty and condition – most would disappear when built up with components of the period. The chrome is exceptionally good – please look at better quality photos on my picasa link https://picasaweb.google.com/1041806103 ... eat=email#

It is a 55 centre to top with a 54.5 top tube – centre to centre.

I am asking £850 or very near offer plus courier at cost.

This is not cheap but this is an exceptional opportunity for someone looking for a vintage Colnago to build up and cherish – there may be cheaper ones but I honestly don’t think this has done anymore than 100 road miles if any at all – it’s a bit like a brand new 21 year old bike and very hard to find.

Attachments

• DSC01740 (Medium).JPG
    DSC01740 (Medium).JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 3,724
Thanks for the nice comment about the frame and the smiley face!

I did buy it on eBay from a very honourable seller who sold it at the agreed price. He did not say but was I think disappointed with the price and told me it was worth far more. I was fortunate .......do I pass on my good fortune to someone I do not know and sell it for less than it may be worth?

What something is worth is subjective and these are extremely hard to find in this condition. I have hopefully put something in the marketplace where there are some discerning buyers

Incidenatlly I too have ebayed things for less than I felt they were worth but that is life.

Thanks for the opportunity to explain the situation

i was watching the frame and i do think it is worth what you are asking for it - it was a little small for me so i didn't bid.
I have a Master olympic in basically the same condition on ebay at the moment for you guessed it.. 850!
good luck with the sale :cool:

Incidentally does the NA stand for Newton Abbott?

Tainted? Aren"t there some friendly people on this forum?

I can assure you it is a geniune sale but you are right ...... my genuine sale is being "tainted" by people like you saying misguided and ignorant things.

I won"t even bother to ask you to explain yourself as you won't be able to.

Thanks for the bump.

To all the decent people on this forum thanks for contributing to what is an excellent place for retro bikes

You have asked for a place with "discerning" buyers and I think that is exactly what you have found. This forum isn't like LFGSS, people don't like to feel like they are being ripped off and as I have found they are always friendly.

To me, a "genuine" sale is one where you buy something with the intention of using it and when it doesn't work out or becomes surplus to requirement you sell it at a later date. Not one where you buy on one site then sell on another to make a quick buck. If you check the rules, while some "trading" is allowed, wheeling and dealing is not and to me this is a textbook example of that.

I was merely saying, that with the information on the previous posts there aren't too many people who are going to shell out that kind of money, knowing that the item went for alot less money on ebay the week before.

I am sorry if i have in any way offended you.

I thought we werent supposed to comment on price, selling tactics etc unless there is clearly something illegal going on, which i dont think there is. Yes, I too have a chip on my shoulder - its my size and I cant afford it! There was a thread (or 2) on the MTB side of this forum where many thought that receiving stuff FOC and auctioning it on was quite ok. this is nowhere near as "bad", so cant see what all the fuss is about.

Back