Cogwalls, remember those. ya' know, when you wear out that cog you always used. what happened¿

Those freewheels cost the best part of a day's wages iirc - but increase in gear numbers, standards and the growth of popularity of indexing means that there are probably 10x more differences in the sprockets now.

So we've got greater variety in a cheaper product, makes it hard to support the supply chain, knowledge, storage and display.
(Hard but not impossible)

I've bought the final remains of quite a few bike shops, (including Overburys) and found that the sprocket wall was usually still there, dusty as anything, untouched for decades, usually the 16, 18 pegs forlornly empty😉

It's been replaced by the Disc Pad wall, which may also go the same way one day.😄

We did replace the smaller 4 sprockets on a shimano 11 speed due to wear the other day. About 1/3 the price of the 'days wages' cassette.
Took about an hour to get all the part numbers🤣

But that does indicate that some fast wearing sprockets are becoming replaceable again. 👍

chainwheel is pretty common to. I think it depends where you use it, some of the factories I worked in everybody called them wheels, which leads to fun conversations about re-wheeling a compressor :)
Chainwheel is common as you say, I think "wheel" is maybe used for multiples or trains of? Quite interesting though.

Back