Claud butler pagan 653

Re:

erm as far as im aware you couldnt get 653 mtbs back in the day just high end road bikes im pretty sure that the best reynolds tubeset you find on a off the shelf bike would of been reynolds 531 tubing with combined deore xt groupset such as dawes & raleigh were doing ... so im guessing thats a reynolds sticker from a roll of them !

Re: Re:

alpinestars90s":zghrwt03 said:
erm as far as im aware you couldnt get 653 mtbs back in the day just high end road bikes im pretty sure that the best reynolds tubeset you find on a off the shelf bike would of been reynolds 531 tubing with combined deore xt groupset such as dawes & raleigh were doing ... so im guessing thats a reynolds sticker from a roll of them !
You are right,on closer inspection it also has rack eyelets :roll: .

alpinestars90s":3jkjvr16 said:

I’m don’t know about that bike in particular but there were definitely 653 and 753 mtbs back in the day, in fact Claud Butler made one for sure

66 triumph daytona":rydrcw5v said:
Would the 653 frames be strictly for racing and have no rack eyelets?

No, not at all. In fact most 653 frames I’ve seen have rack eyelets. Most manufacturers wouldn’t forgo rack eyelets, and risk losing potential customers, regardless of the what purpose the frame was intended for.

Re:

im thinking the groupset on it if its original shows what kind of bike this is infact non of the parts as far as i can tell are out of the ordinary and found on a £200-£250 bike and the claud butler brochures seem to show the same thing as the pagan isnt a high end bike in their range see links . . .

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... n.png.html

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.jpg.html

if it was some way a 653 frame best thing to do is ask the seller to weigh the bike id gues if 653 it would be around 25lb? and if 501 like brochures suggest should be around 30lbs

Claudbutler used 653 quite a bit in the early 90's, it started off on the Top End bikes like my Anteaus (which I've had since new) and then dropped into the lower end as it became deeply unfashionable with everyone moving to Aluminium. The Anteaus is not particularly light but then it does have sus forks and Magura hydrostops which add weight. That ain't a 1991 Pagan, it's much later (probably 95/96 as it has V's and the later design of decals) and could well be an old stock 653 frame.

Latest posts

Back