Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

So the spacing between the dropouts is 120mm, and I managed to get the 3 speed freewheel off of the BHC defiance hub. So hopefully I just need to find a 5 speed hub that fits.

In accordance with what @Guinessisgoodforyou said earlier I assume this should mean I need to find a 3/32 chain 5 speed freewheel.

How would these typically be listed on eBay or such? (Mostly as I don't fancy trying to mess with the Harden Hub in case I can re-use that for the CB.)

Unless of course someone has a 5 speed hub that would fit they'd be willing to sell on (price dependant)
Well done 👍 The most teeth that mech will cope with is probably 21-24 teeth @vcballbat will know or have a catalogue.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the links @Guinessisgoodforyou do I need to consider the different iso threading standards? I noticed on the Sheldon brown website there is a list that states sizing based on country of origin?

If so with it being a British hub would I need to try find a British or equivalent freewheel?

I'll await @vcballbat to see if he can confirm your suspicions on maximum teeth count

🙂

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230422_202437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230422_202437_Chrome.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for the links @Guinessisgoodforyou do I need to consider the different iso threading standards? I noticed on the Sheldon brown website there is a list that states sizing based on country of origin?

If so with it being a British hub would I need to try find a British or equivalent freewheel?

I'll await @vcballbat to see if he can confirm your suspicions on maximum teeth count

🙂
It should be Brtish thread mate, so this simplifies things. Onwards :p Edit it may be marked at the base of the thread.

Nice. Getting old freewheels off is a bit of chore.

These old plunger type derailleurs seem fairly limited to about 24 teeth max sprocket size, and I learnt on the condition the front chain rings are close ratio; which they appear to be. Close ratio means about 3 to 5 teeth difference, unlike today which is about 10 to 14 teeth.

The catalogues usually help. The French tended to be pretty good at documenting things in reasonable detail, and the UK importers helped to do good translations. @vcballbat has been a great help with my own adventures into the weird world of old French stuff.

I reckon if these wheels fit in the frame (and are centered / dished right), some new rubber, a refresh of the drive chain it should be a rolling chassis. :)

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need to worry about the freewheel threading. I've put older Shimano Japanese freewheels on both British and Italian threads before now with no problem. If the hubs were French some warning bells would be going off.

Nice. Getting old freewheels off is a bit of chore.

These old plunger type derailleurs seem fairly limited to about 24 teeth max sprocket size, and I learnt on the condition the front chain rings are close ratio; which they appear to be. Close ratio means about 3 to 5 teeth difference, unlike today which is about 10 to 14 teeth.

The catalogues usually help. The French tended to be pretty good at documenting things in reasonable detail, and the UK importers helped to do good translations. @vcballbat has been a great help with my own adventures into the weird world of old French stuff.

I reckon if these wheels fit in the frame (and are centered / dished right), some new rubber, a refresh of the drive chain it should be a rolling chassis. :)

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't need to worry about the freewheel threading. I've put older Shimano Japanese freewheels on both British and Italian threads before now with no problem. If the hubs were French some warning bells would be going off.
Glad you agree mate 👍

Just a thought to potentially help on your pocket. Also think about the day of removing the freewheel.

The French Maillard freewheel removers, while still available, tend to run a bit more expensive. Moreso, they had a wonderful habit of changing the freewheel body over time to the point of being incomprehensible. Everything Maillard is obsolete, but back in the day they were a favourite along with Regina. Both haven't been produced for a few decades now.

I'm not familiar with Suntour. Shimano or a Shimano copy may be a good choice because it is a spline fitting and will be popular.

Latest posts

Back