Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

I'll have a look to see what I can find. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but where on the frame would the frame number on these usually be hiding? Lol

So my wife's grandad used to compete in hill climb events, his family appear to know almost nothing about his bikes or his career, but he often would talk to me about some stuff (mostly because I was the only person he knew that owned any form of bike)

I know that two of the hubs I have a Harden hubs, which I think are the lightweights. I really need to clean them all up to see what's hiding beneath the grease in terms of brands etc.

I'll have a look to see what I can find. You'll have to excuse my ignorance but where on the frame would the frame number on these usually be hiding? Lol

So my wife's grandad used to compete in hill climb events, his family appear to know almost nothing about his bikes or his career, but he often would talk to me about some stuff (mostly because I was the only person he knew that owned any form of bike)

I know that two of the hubs I have a Harden hubs, which I think are the lightweights. I really need to clean them all up to see what's hiding beneath the grease in terms of brands etc.
Hardens are pretty much the Rolls Royce hub of the period. They use ball races as opposed to cup and cone. Try under the b/b, or drop outs, sometimes seat lug, may have one on the fork steerer tube, only visible when the fork is out. Edit measure the front and rear spacing of both bikes in mm.

Hardens are pretty much the Rolls Royce hub of the period. They use ball races as opposed to cup and cone. Try under the b/b, or drop outs, sometimes seat lug, may have one on the fork steerer tube, only visible when the fork is out. Edit measure the front and rear spacing of both bikes in mm.
Not sure if this is it or not? If not when I get a chance I'll try again lol.

I did just check the Mavik rim that was referenced, and emasured it still at iso 630mm. I don't appear to have any 26 x 1 1/4 rims to just check clearance. I think again what I find odd is that the rear brake caliper does seem to fit perfectly fine on a 27 x 1 1/4 rim 🤷🏼

Edit: it appears the other rear hub (that is currently on the CB) is a LE Tour hub. That's all I could see on the engraving, so two Harden Hubs and the LE Tour Hub and the double fixed hub all rear wheel hubs all fitted with 27 x 1 1/4 rims currently.

Attachments

• 20230419_141243.jpg
    20230419_141243.jpg
    370.8 KB · Views: 8
Not sure if this is it or not? If not when I get a chance I'll try again lol.

I did just check the Mavik rim that was referenced, and emasured it still at iso 630mm. I don't appear to have any 26 x 1 1/4 rims to just check clearance. I think again what I find odd is that the rear brake caliper does seem to fit perfectly fine on a 27 x 1 1/4 rim 🤷🏼

Edit: it appears the other rear hub (that is currently on the CB) is a LE Tour hub. That's all I could see on the engraving, so two Harden Hubs and the LE Tour Hub and the double fixed hub all rear wheel hubs all fitted with 27 x 1 1/4 rims currently.
If I've interpreted the register correctly its frame 624 of 1953. Pre Holdsworth takeover. I think its this. I could of course be wrong. @Peachy! will know for sure.
Coronation53.jpg

Last edited:
So your original assumption appears to be spot on with the 26 x 1 1/4 rims being the standard for that frame set.

Thank you for finding that so quickly, I'll have to send that on to the family too to give them a bit of a lesson :)
I could be wrong :D pedals and cranks look right. Measure the pump pegs between the points please.

So the mystery continues lol. Tried having a little Google myself but seems people generally struggle to date CB's, I'll have a look at the catalogue you linked.

Latest posts

Back