Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

Very strange considering all the wheels that we have (which were all stored with the bikes) were 27 x 1 1/4, this means I'll either need to get a set of smaller rims or a shorter reach caliper and just forgo the mudguard at the front 🤷🏼

Very strange considering all the wheels that we have (which were all stored with the bikes) were 27 x 1 1/4, this means I'll either need to get a set of smaller rims or a shorter reach caliper and just forgo the mudguard at the front 🤷🏼
Not unusual for bikes of that era to be built for 26". I have a set of 32/40 26 x 1 1/4" alloy rims if you're interested.

At least you can get the Carpenter rolling with some fresh rubber. :)

It's great you can still get a reasonable selection of tyres for that wheel size even today.

I'm suspecting the CB was built for Sprint rims with skinny tubulars. Looking at the decal on the sprint rim and the overall age of the bike may confirm this. As mentioned earlier, these type of rims and tyres are not practical going forward for just general riding. Neither is the fixed gear.

20230413_103525-jpg.730080
20230413_103544-jpg.730081

The hub appears to be a dual sided fixed wheel hub. I've never seen one of those before 😮

At least you can get the Carpenter rolling with some fresh rubber. :)

It's great you can still get a reasonable selection of tyres for that wheel size even today.

I'm suspecting the CB was built for Sprint rims with skinny tubulars. Looking at the decal on the sprint rim and the overall age of the bike may confirm this. As mentioned earlier, these type of rims and tyres are not practical going forward for just general riding. Neither is the fixed gear.

20230413_103525-jpg.730080
20230413_103544-jpg.730081

The hub appears to be a dual sided fixed wheel hub. I've never seen one of those before 😮
I had a double fixed hub that I sold doh!

@Woz I think it will still be tight with sprints, probably ok w/o guards. But it has m/g eyes which is why I thought 26", will be nice however the op builds it though. @WhtANightmare I have also sold the 26" rims sorry. One way to check is fit 700s with inflated tyres and see if the b/b centre is very high. If its past 11" its 26" wheel.

Reactions: Woz
:LOL: .... oh the stories to tell about vintage items going in the bin or sold off for peanuts, only later to find someone selling them on Ebay for the price of a house extension or small car.

Agree that it all looks close clearance. The dates seem to match up - handlebar mounted bottle cages etc. Wasn't 531 pretty much the top end lightweight tube set back then too? Simplex shifter and what looks like a TdF rear mech in one photo.

20230303_195419-jpg.729532

I'm not familiar with the 26" x 1 1/4 size: https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/597.html (thank god - and you say French bikes are a PITA :p )

There's most certainly a rear wheel missing; I'm guessing another Mavic Sprint rim but laced to a hub for a 3 or 4 speed freewheel. The Sprint rim with the fixed gear hub was used in winter for some hard winter miles. The owner must have been a serious cyclist and you can tell he liked decent kit.

Without a catalogue / advert from this period it will be hard to know for sure what wheel size it was designed for.

Does @Peachy! know anything about this CB model?

:LOL: .... oh the stories to tell about vintage items going in the bin or sold off for peanuts, only later to find someone selling them on Ebay for the price of a house extension or small car.

Agree that it all looks close clearance. The dates seem to match up - handlebar mounted bottle cages etc. Wasn't 531 pretty much the top end lightweight tube set back then too? Simplex shifter and what looks like a TdF rear mech in one photo.

20230303_195419-jpg.729532

I'm not familiar with the 26" x 1 1/4 size: https://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/597.html (thank god - and you say French bikes are a PITA :p )

There's most certainly a rear wheel missing; I'm guessing another Mavic Sprint rim but laced to a hub for a 3 or 4 speed freewheel. The Sprint rim with the fixed gear hub was used in winter for some hard winter miles. The owner must have been a serious cyclist and you can tell he liked decent kit.

Without a catalogue / advert from this period it will be hard to know for sure what wheel size it was designed for.

Does @Peachy! know anything about this CB model?
French bikes are a pita :p yes 531 and Accles and Pollock Kromo which was air hardening were as far as I know the best. Fixed in the winter was the norm as you say. Might be worth putting the sprint in with the m/g. If it works and doesn't rub, the brake reaches, no problem. We need a frame number to check @WhtANightmare

Last edited:
Back