Claud Butler - Carpenter - Vintage Bike - Wheel Help

If I resort to new wheels rather than re-building the wheels, what should I look for in order to make sure new Axle's fitnthe dropouts? Thanks again for all the info, this has been a huge help.
The spindles won't fit. If you old hubs are useable it would be much easier to use them, but they are likely to be drilled front 32/40rear. This limits your rim choices. If you are happy to run sprints no problem, clean them, re pack and fit them. The other wheel I saw looks to be 27"x1 1/4", tyres are easily available for those. One bike (The Claud I think because of the single chain ring) appears to have been run as a fixed wheel with sprints and hopefully you have a pair of 27" for the Carpenter which is a derailleur equipped bike. Post pics of all the wheels you have.

The spindles won't fit. If you old hubs are useable it would be much easier to use them, but they are likely to be drilled front 32/40rear. This limits your rim choices. If you are happy to run sprints no problem, clean them, re pack and fit them. The other wheel I saw looks to be 27"x1 1/4", tyres are easily available for those. One bike (The Claud I think because of the single chain ring) appears to have been run as a fixed wheel with sprints and hopefully you have a pair of 27" for the Carpenter which is a derailleur equipped bike. Post pics of all the wheels you have.
Thank you, I'll try post some pictures of the other wheels I have tomorrow or at the weekend.

I assume the only way new wheels would then ever fit is to file the dropout slot (which I think I saw something about on the Sheldon brown Raleigh article)

Noted, therefore wheel rebuild is best option it seems, unless there is a set of clinchers that match that can be used.

I'll have to try and do some research on either how to do it, or where to get it done. Just don't want to mess it up 😅
I may be able to help with hubs and wheel build, if wheel build stainless spokes imo is the way to go. Stronger, no rust and stay true. Not cheap but well worth it. Check your PM.

Really nice bikes there and the advice given is sound. You have found the best place 👍

The issues you have with these bikes is not a new thing around here - and like said before it's best to slow down a little and be methodical. New wheels would be a direct waste of money IMHO. A little wanted ad here for help with a wheel rebuild sounds like a better option for the moment.

I second what Guinessisgoodforyou is saying re rebuilding the wheels with stainless spokes provided the hubs are good. You can still get new rims with 32/40 spoke combination in 700c and 27 x1/4, eg by Kinlin. Clincher tyres are more convenient than tubs. Id suggest speaking to a small local bicycle repair shop that is sympathetic to old bicycles and see how much they would charge for the wheel builds with new spokes and rims. i am one such shop doing this type of work but am too far away from you, Glasgow. Its best if its a local shop that you can walk into.

I second what Guinessisgoodforyou is saying re rebuilding the wheels with stainless spokes provided the hubs are good. You can still get new rims with 32/40 spoke combination in 700c and 27 x1/4, eg by Kinlin. Clincher tyres are more convenient than tubs. Id suggest speaking to a small local bicycle repair shop that is sympathetic to old bicycles and see how much they would charge for the wheel builds with new spokes and rims. i am one such shop doing this type of work but am too far away from you, Glasgow. Its best if its a local shop that you can walk into.
Thank you for your response too, would definitely love to keep the bikes in as original condition as possible. Am in discussions with Guinness who is giving me loads of useful information and help. Hopefully I can get these bikes back to some semblance of their former selves :)

Back