Classic XC Venues in the South East

mrkawasaki":3b9vhe9i said:
Old Ned":3b9vhe9i said:
' UK round of OWMTBC in 2010'

Tell us more!!

Please!!

Where've you been...??! Get yourself to the first one....

Mr K

Ah, but it's 'abroad' and I haven't got one of them 'passing porter' thingies.

mazdaman1980":oeltttu3 said:
....Penshurt is a must.....

Imo Penshurst (PORC) isn't good at all for XC. The place is mainly set up for short course DH.

The XC course that I rode there was half downhill and half uphill. The uphill section being so steep at one point that they had to use switchbacks! :shock: Not my idea of a good XC course.

Bedgebury, on the other hand, is far superior. A nice mix of singletrack, fireroads and climbs/descents. Just don't go there for a couple of days after it's rained as you'll find yourself walking a good half of the circuit. The course isn't quite as good since they've built the treetop climbing thing as it cut a good 3/4 mile off the original course.

Whipstakes farm was good bitd with lots of very tight and technical singletrack. Unfortunately it's private land with no more access. :cry:

I'd second the Thetford Forest suggestion - Brandon Country Park area. It's flatish, but there were some decent XC races there BITD. Someone on here may know/remember more. Accessibility should be easier than other popular SE areas like the North Downs around Leith Hill, Surrey. Also Thetford is close-ish to Harwich port and Stanstead airport.

Another suggestion is the Aston Hills purpose-built course(s) near Wendover. Ian Warby at the CTC is your man for that one - ian.warby@ctc.org.uk.

Whipsteaks farm was a great place to race. Shame the racing stopped, not sure why? Anyone else remember racing there? I still have some results sheets from the races I did at Whipsteaks.

Classic venue

How about Cesears camp or Rushmoor arena or ash vale all around Aldershot way or Wiltshire way i think it was Elrestoke? where Salisbury plain challenge was held.

:D

Thetford's the place to go as said before. Plenty of history associated with racing plus it is close to Harwich which connects to The Hook of Holland ferry and Stanstead airport is an hour away. You could rope in the Thetford MTB racing guys get them to organise it all for you. And the singletrack is excellent :D

Got talking to one of the race organisers a few weeks ago while I was marshaling for a race. If you have it on the Santon Downham course there is a lot less red tape involved as the FC and Thetford / Brandon Country parks are not involved as much.

Back