Changing headsets help pls :)

On my most recent job fitting a crown race on a fork I found part of the tube from my vacuum cleaner was the perfect size! I have bought a cheap headset press on ebay which did the job for the cups, it got the job done. I'd like to buy more tools, but I have access to tools at a workshop I do volunteer at, so I'm not in a rush to buy.

I've just replaced a lower cup on a bike. A wonderful bastardization of a 50mm headtube and fitted a Hope type stepdown 1.5" to 1 1/8", which is 49mm. Bought 1/2mm alloy sheet to cut a strip to shim it with.

I didnt use a press and only have the threaded rod and several big washers, and tbh it was more a pain int he bum trying to align it, so i tapped it in using a hammer and a bit of ply

My technique, if you can call it that, is to sit with the headtube in my lap. place the cup in place and give it a bit of a dunt to at least get it started.
This starts it but it will be misaligned, so you take note of the highest bit, and tap that down, and just work your way around, one side to other till its about home and straightish, then with the ply as a softener, give it some good hard whacks

By sitting it on my lap its easier to hold it in place with one hand while holding the softener block roughly in place and swing the hammer at the same time. Trying to balance everything while its up in a stand theres more chance it will bounce on the first hit, drop to the floor and roll under the fridge.

:D

I always borrowed a headset press from my brother in law, but just last month I did my first ever AliExpress purchase and got one from ZTTO for 20€. I haven't tried it yet so can't comment, but at least it's pretty, and for that price worth not bothering with the homemade version.

They also sell a cup remover and all the other things but so far I've been able to improvise or DIY those...

Yes these different size headtubes can be a real pita, I've only ever dealt with 1 1/8th headsets for my own bikes and I'd like it to stay that way for simplicity. With modern bikes it can be difficult to find suitable forks on a tight budget if you have a frame with a bigger diameter cup at the bottom of the headtube.

Latest posts

Back