chainring help

gsy971

Old School Hero
i just bought a vintage cook bros rsr crankset 110 bcd 5 bolt and want to use a 44t outer chainring, but i can't find one with ramps and pins to help shift. does it really help all that much? is there a 44t 110bcd 5 bolt chainring with ramps or pins?? thanks

yeah of course the ramping and pins help shifting. duh? i guess all the 5 bolt 44t 110bcd chainrings are for single speeds w/o ramps or pins.

Personally I have never bothered with all the ramp and pin stuff, probably because I use thumbies, which are much less finicky than rapidfire.

While Shimano does have fantastic shifting it seems to be bought by short chainring life and chainsuck problems as rings wear.

one-eyed_jim":1ykz6g0g said:
Specialités TA

Yes, they make the Zephyr 110 mm chainring for compact road cranksets. Make sure you get the middle position ring, intended for triple cranks. If you get the chainring for dual cranksets, it will not have the shift ramps and pins. ;)

SStumpjump":24z1uebe said:
Yes, they make the Zephyr 110 mm chainring for compact road cranksets. Make sure you get the middle position ring, intended for triple cranks. If you get the chainring for dual cranksets, it will not have the shift ramps and pins. ;)
That's not quite right. The Zephyr started life as a touring triple crankset, and the 44t 110mm bcd ring is still available as an outer ring or a middle, ramped in both cases:

http://www.specialites-ta.com/produits/ ... -route.pdf

The difference is that the outer ring has its bolt holes recessed on the outside, while the middle has them recessed on the inside. So gsy971 wants a triple outer ("ext." in that table).

The Zephyr "Light" double came with the fancy "Syrius" rings, and they're not made in a 44t option, inner or outer.

Pins....Ramps...Bah Humbug,who needs 'em :?

Just keep your thumb on the button a bit longer ;)

what did we ever do without such 'improvements'

F*** me ,ive turned into an old guy :shock:

i think i need to mention here that i am using modern sram xo twist shifters and will use this bike primarily for road commuting and just cruising around. i would like to be able to shift "nicely" though as much as possible.

Road commuting, then save yourself the hassle and get a 46 tooth. Plenty more choice. (I'd go for 48 for road/cruising though)

You may find 50 teeth easier if you look at the roadie rings.

44 tooth is not a 'normal' 110BCD (ATB/Compact road) chainrings.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back