Chain cleaning - how do you clean yours?

sheldon brown method!!! has any one actually done that? for the price of the kit you could just buy a few decent chains! i use ipa to clean with a tex wipe and then just use wd40 (i know!) it seems to work for me. if it rains and im riding i just spray some more wd40 on to prevent corrosion after my ride. run the chain through the wipe with ipa on it and spray the chain and cassette with wd40 then wipe chain to get rid of excess

cyfa2809":tg0qnu6g said:
sheldon brown method!!! has any one actually done that? for the price of the kit you could just buy a few decent chains!
:LOL:

Just got back from the Crawley Asda, they don't stock the £4 chains or any bike bits. :(

perry":2eok958m said:
ultrasonic cleaning machine

Is that the one in my kitchen , or the one in the bathroom ?

Shall i ask the neighbor if i can use his ?

I've got one, used to use it for cleaning lens filters, I only use it with water and I wouldn't want to get it gunked up with old oil. Walk through Tokyo and opticians have them out on the street for you to clean your glasses as you walk past. Maybe I should take a hand full of old chains with me next time I go just to try it out.

you can get cheap chains on the bay. like £5 a pop for kmc. i paid £6 for mine. sram pg830 i think. nothing major. does the job. oh and i just thought of a new chain cleaner! cillit BANG! and the dirt is gone! thanks barry ;) :LOL:

Here's my chain after yesterday's dry and dusty 30 mile off-road jaunt.The Prolink chain lube has stoped the build up of dust on the chain. The strange thing with Prolink is that the chain looks like there's no lube on it. However, to the touch it feels slippy and oily. It's like it has a dry non-stick coating.

There will be some dust and grit inbetween the links but the following will sort this out:
*dusting the chain by spinning it past a soft toothbrush
*reaplication of Prolink followed by spinning to flush dust and grit out
*wipe Prolink/dust mixture off with a rag
*final applicatuon of prolink (you will need to let this dry before using the bike or dust will stick to the wet lube)

Attachments

• PIC_0001.JPG
    PIC_0001.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 446
Back