Centrepull or Caliper ?

I agree, centrepulls and try to find some 27 x 1 1/4" wheels in alloy - they are out there somewhere, even if you're forced to buy a complete bike to get some. Something like a Weinmann Vainqueur 810 might be long enough for 700c wheels though (which need 4mm extra drop).

But for power you could drill the fork out for dual pivots... though there's no going back once you do, I'd be very hesitant to do that to as it looks a lovely thing the frame, what's the braze-on on the fork leg for?

I have a similar issue and settled on some modern (but nicely made) Tektro units to keep me going (to the RVV and back). Will watch for better (more period) solutions as they come through here...

Incidentally, mine is a 531c frame with mudguard eyelets too - I'm vaguely surprised that 531c is used for winter bikes, let alone touring ones - should I be?

mrkawasaki":3gsocczy said:
I have a similar issue and settled on some modern (but nicely made) Tektro units to keep me going (to the RVV and back). Will watch for better (more period) solutions as they come through here...

Incidentally, mine is a 531c frame with mudguard eyelets too - I'm vaguely surprised that 531c is used for winter bikes, let alone touring ones - should I be?

Not really, its strong stuff, not ultra thin/light. 531ST had a stiffer down tube so better for heavily loaded touring. Now 531SL or Pro would have been silly for a touring frame.

Mark.

Midlife":1ejg0b7y said:
Didn't Bernard Hinault win the TdF on centre-pulls?

Anodised gold if memory serves LOL

Shaun

Thevenet on a Peugeot with gold anodised parts.

Never seen Hinault with CP's, he's to young.

If the frame has a bridge for centre pulls, I'd deff be using them. In my little experience they work better than (non dual pivot) side pull brakes. I've got some Mafacs with Salmon pads and they're great!

If you need 27" alloy wheels you'll find them. I think there are a couple of sets in the for sale section here and Vintage Bike Cave always seems to have some.

It's a lovely looking frame, 531c is pretty light, think I've seen reference to the tube set being lighter than Columbus SL (approx 1800g against 1900ish grams, if memory serves me right?).

Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated.

You've answered the question, which is that I should get centre-pulls. The rear brake cable bridge is really nicely done, so you're right, I should therefore use it. I've got my eye on some Mafacs right now.

I'm sticking with 700c wheels mainly because I'm running 8spd Record on this bike, and already have a NOS Record cassette installed on my Aksiums (they are officially the only new wheels that will take an old Campag Record 8spd Exadrive cassette). I'll eventually shod some nice 28mm tyres and proper mudguards on it, so that'll soon eat up any clearance !

Thanks for the comments about the frame. It was an impulse purchase off eBay, partly because I liked the colour. I was rather pleased when it arrived in the post to find a newly installed Record headset, 531c tubing throughout (not 'plain' 531 as advertised), Prugnant arrow lugs, double eyelet Campag dropouts front and back, brazed 'noodle' cable guides *under* the BB. And my 130mm rear wheel just slotted in. I actually think it might be recent enough that it's post-126mm. So I'm not sure that it was designed for 27" wheels.

There's no model or branding, just a Willi Moore sticker on the top tube. I'll try and find out who made it, possibly Harry Quinn or someone in the NW. Some of the older members in my club knew Willi a few years back, so I might actually just ride over to Merseyside and ask the man himself !

Any as you've noticed, it seems to have been built to order for someone who wanted to do touring with a rear dynamo, yet have a lightweight frame. It's all perfect for what I want, so I'm rather pleased - buying things on impulse can be good. Oh, and I got the frame cheap too.

Anyway, once it's on the road, I'll post a new topic so that I can show it off, as I think it's possibly unique ?

Hello, first chance I've had to reply ( nightshifts ). Saw the photos and they'll definitely take long drop double pivot calipers ( click on link ). You'll need to drill both holes though. On the 3 restorations I've done with these brakes it's always worth the extra power.

Agency_Scum":3aemotdm said:
Hello, first chance I've had to reply ( nightshifts ). Saw the photos and they'll definitely take long drop double pivot calipers ( click on link ). You'll need to drill both holes though. On the 3 restorations I've done with these brakes it's always worth the extra power.

It does seem like I'm only 10mm off, so assuming the caliper in my photo is a 49mm, a 57mm might do. I'm think about it...thanks.

Back