Category X-Orange Formula.

Re:

Trying to decide how to build it, looking at wheel choices.... 🤦 Mavic Or Suntour (2).png

Last edited:
Re: Category X-Orange

Interesting photo (and article) a little more info. to the story.
At first I thought it was a single colour frame, some tweaking and it's definitely two tone.
Rear disc appears to be a similar colour to what should be orange on the frame, so an orange disc with the logo in black?

This (to me) confirms that the unsold Tushingham bikes/framesets that were rebranded as Orange did not carry the 'Clockwork name at that point in time....that comes later with the wishbone frame sets.

That means I can crack on with the Tushingham/Orange tribute build....

It's definitely a wishbone rear end in that photo.

Thanks for posting Sinnerman.

Andy T":232or0ue said:
At first I thought it was a single colour frame, some tweaking and it's definitely two tone.
Rear disc appears to be a similar colour to what should be orange on the frame, so an orange disc with the logo in black?

This (to me) confirms that the unsold Tushingham bikes/framesets that were rebranded as Orange did not carry the 'Clockwork name at that point in time....that comes later with the wishbone frame sets.

Ill Shall keep looking Andrew, From 87 to 89 there are so many different images, of frames, builds, options, and none of it very clear. Hardly surprising I guess, given the company really was in its infancy.

Re:

Some build Options to consider, a Non NOS build for sure, although it has to be in really good order as it will be a rider. XT-Turbo. (2).png

Last edited:

sinnerman:56eaavap said:
Andy T:56eaavap said:

Ill Shall keep looking Andrew, From 87 to 89 there are so many different images, of frames, builds, options, and none of it very clear. Hardly surprising I guess, given the company really was in its infancy.

Although this snippet suggest 86, I thought that was Tushingham. Just young lads back then...!.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

I always remember my original 1989 Clockwork having Mavic Oxygen rims rather than the far more usual 231's. Don't know the timeline on these but wonder if mine was a early bike?

Stem wise I have a early Orange branded aluminium 1" if that would be of interest?

Re: Re:

@Andy T. Thanks for the heads up re your Tushingham builds. Superb and another read is required, soon.

@Sinnerman. Coming along nicely. Love the effort involved with research. But what is that Yeti sign? WANT!
I’ve just posted on your wanted ad for XT Q/Rs. If they’re needed for this I’ll have a good look for the front tomorrow.

brocklanders023":2j023htr said:
I always remember my original 1989 Clockwork having Mavic Oxygen rims rather than the far more usual 231's. Don't know the timeline on these but wonder if mine was a early bike?
M231 weren’t officially launched until 1991 but were available in limited quantities late 1990.

Re: Re:

brocklanders023":32j24kyl said:

While digging around for parts for the Tushingham, I found that the Mavic Oxygen M6 rims became available in 1988, they were available in silver, black and Hard anodised - presume the later is that nasty dull grey colour.....

Andy

sinnerman":34mfajsn said:
sinnerman":34mfajsn said:
Andy T":34mfajsn said:

Althought this snippet suggest 86, i thought that was Tushingham.

Agreed, that is a misquote or a blatant embellishment to the story/history of Orange. Rodger and Lester may have thought about MTB's in 1986, I don't think they had a product until '87.

Andy

Back