Cassette spacer dimensions help

Tall Paul

Dirt Disciple
I'm a tight git and I have access to a lathe so rather than buy one, I'm going to make a spacer to allow me to use a 7 spd on a 8/9 hub.

Trouble is I don't know how wide they are - anyone know know or got one they can measure for me? Ta.

7 sp cassette is (Shimano HG) 31.9mm wide
8 sp cassette is (Shimano) 35.4mm wide
9 sp cassette is (Shimano) 36.5mm wide
I don't know how the wide, say Hopes, 7 speed spacer is though.
So say 3.5 to 4.5mm ?

EDIT to add,
7 sp freehub body spline length (Shimano hyperglide-C) = 28.4mm
8 sp freehub body spline length (Shimano hyperglide-C) = 32.9mm
(both splines finish 1.7mm from the end of the body, so are comparable for this)
So 4.5mm I guess is needed.

EDIT to add, the ID is 34.5mm, OD for an in cassette spacer is normally 42mm, well at least for the 3mm wide Alu 8 speed ones
The plastic washer are always a touch ticker than t

Ok, so I have a simple question, when fitting a 7spd cassette to a 9spd hub, which side does the spacer go, inside or out? Or does it even make a difference?

Tousi":yoksuxqg said:
Ok, so I have a simple question, when fitting a 7spd cassette to a 9spd hub, which side does the spacer go, inside or out? Or does it even make a difference?

Nearest the spokes as the locknut would't work properly (nothing to 'ratchet' against, but it would work if the spacer made right). That and it it was an 11 tooth sprocket it wouldn't actually go on any further

I've never actually looked to see if it places the cassette in the correct place for it's chainline relative to one on a 7 speed freehub, but then I've never used 7 spd on one.

LX V brake levers coming this week via someone on here. Last bits then are the wheels. Found some NOS Velocity Deep V rims for £10 the pair, new Miche Primato front hub and an old M900 XTR rear, all E-Bay.

Getting built this week and finished next weekend. :D

Back