Carrying bags on front of bike advice sought

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
Sure this has been discussed before but just wanted some advise / pointing in the right direction on my proposed touring set up; front end specifically.

I'm running a large carradice saddlebag on a bagman support on the rear of the bike. This can accommodate my tent, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, tools, pump and various other bits and bobs.

I've been considering a similar large bag on the front, sat on a small "randonneur" type rack like this;

1717663692769.png
1717665470729.png

But generally finding that it's going to stretch my budget to buy rack + large bag.

Does anyone run something similar and know a budget solution?? (both rack and bag)

Alternatively I'm looking at a lowrider type rack with 2 x small panniers. But this isn't the preference at the moment.

Any advice or photo's of your set up's would be much appreciated.

Joe

It seems really common in the US to run bags on the front only. I assume it's an easy way to convert a fast road frame without eyes, simply by switching to a touring fork.
I've run a Carradice saddlebag and barbag, but my bikes certainly don't like too much weight on the front.
52507595176_8bb827be20_b.jpg

Cheers Hamster,

Here's mine with the rear saddlebag on;

1717667292361.png

Intention is to keep this in place, as well as a large front bag on a small rack. Fork does have a braze-on to carry the rack, rather than using the brake lugs.

I found the lowrider racks the best solution - they keep the weight low down so don't affect handling much, if anything they made the ride a bit more stable on my sports tourer. And those fork braze ons make fitting the rack easy. (Apologies for the picture quality - it's a scan from an old scrap book).

On tour 1989.jpg

I have a pair of carradice super c front limpet panniers complete with U shaped fixing bar .
They are in excellent condition. Pm me if you are interested and I will send you pictures.

Last edited:
I used this Blb rack for a handlebar bag and it worked great, looks just like the Nitto. It was a lot less when I bought it, but still less than Nitto.

My town bike started out with rear rack and luggage on top. Did the job but felt heavy and swingy at the back (if that description makes sense). I've since put on a front rack with a basket and the option to mount front panniers and it feels much better. Ok, I wouldn't no-hand it, but on climbs, my front body weight with the front luggage weight seems to gel better and the back end feels lighter and riding especially on climbs feels more fluid

A lot of this will boil down to personal preference. Here’s another 2p: tried a large Carradice rear bag on a bagman and found if heavily loaded it pulled the saddle back (especially on a hooked single clamp post. So I added a rear rack. This also leaves space to shove in stuff like a tarp or mat.

Up front, I don’t like too much weight on the steering, so went for a basket lashed to a small front rack. Super versatile: shove stuff in and net it down. I sometimes also run a small cylinder bag on the bars for quick access stuff.

IMG_4371.jpeg

Back