Carrying bags on front of bike advice sought

My town bike started out with rear rack and luggage on top. Did the job but felt heavy and swingy at the back (if that description makes sense). I've since put on a front rack with a basket and the option to mount front panniers and it feels much better. Ok, I wouldn't no-hand it, but on climbs, my front body weight with the front luggage weight seems to gel better and the back end feels lighter and riding especially on climbs feels more fluid
So much depends on the steering geometry and frame design. My Marin-based tourer is happy even at 40mph with front lowriders, rear panniers and a barbag. However, lighten the loads and put a trailer on and it spends all its time trying to kill me with lowriders. Take them off and it's fine again with the trailer.

It's definitely a case of 'suck it and see'.

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I've been converted to trying lowriders, for 2 reasons.

1. Advice on here regards the handling. Also, I can continue to run my usual bar bag for snacks, map on top etc.

2. Cheaper option! Found some on marketplace which I'm going looking at today. Standby.

Keep sharing photos of your set ups, always good to see!

Joe

I have a pair of carradice super c front limpet panniers complete with U shaped fixing bar .
They are in excellent condition. Pm me if you are interested and I will send you pictures.

Thanks Bagpuss. I found some locally which I'm going looking at this afternoon, but will let you know if they aren't what I'm looking for etc.

My own experience is a small bag (camera wallet phone etc) yes, big bag heavy laden no... Personally I think it affects the steering too much. Even panniers I think are pretty dodgy

Thanks Canuk.

Intention is to run my bar bag, similar to the one you used as an example.

Picked up some Altura panniers this afternoon. They came with lowrider racks, however not the right racks for mine (they need a bolt-thru braze on, whereas my braze on is just a bolt 1 side).

The both-sides-of-the-fork lowrider does away with the over-the-top-loop, but you could make a loop from a length of 6mm(?) Alu bar and attach this to the rack with p-clips, as was often the case anyway.
If you look at the 2 designs, an inexpensive way forward should be possible.
Most budget tourists just use a rear rack, and super budget ones then have army surplus packs modified to fit as panniers.

Back