Carlton Pro 80's 531 racer- Raleigh repaint

Yellow_Peril

Old School Hero
Hi folks,

I don't have the time to build this up, and funds are required to service one of my cameras (retro cameras make retro bikes look like a cheap hobby)!

I bought this a few years ago from a guy in Nottingham. I am told that this bike was returned to Raleigh years ago to have a front shifter braze-on fitted and to have the BB milled out with three go faster slots :). Repainted by Raleigh in a lovely colour.

The bike when purchased had a Campy C-record headset on it, which I didn't buy. It was unridden since it was done up many years ago but built in to a show bike. No dents, some light shallow scuffs in one area of the chain stays, where I stupidly attempted to take it from the rafters in the attic just now! Photo of light bubbling is the top of the headset braze on.

Seat tube - 59cm, top tube 57cm. I have drilled out the brake holes to accept new brake format, but drilled only from the rear (using a short right-angle drill and a short bit). It is a smart job and will allow more reliable brake setup.

250 quid collected from Shropshire or I can get it down to Essex if you are happy to wait a week or so till I get down there. Get in touch with questions. It needs a good home!

*edit- thanks to this thread I know it is now a Carlton Pro in Raleigh livery! Thanks to all who contributed and messaged me :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 1,221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1,221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,221
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,221
Re: Raleigh 70's 531 racer- Raleigh repaint and customised

Looks for all the world like a Carlton Pro team frame from 1980 which would have come with the slotted BB, I have one under my desk at the moment :)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=255728

Shaun

It does indeed! Interesting thread. What's the odds this is a Raleigh built by the Carlton lot to the same pattern?

Carlton closed it's doors in 1981 if memory serves...so not a Raleigh IMHO your frame has no drilling for a Raleigh head badge and it has typical Carlton rear ends drilled for a Portacatena

Your frame number looks like WD0003096, the third digit along is a zero as far as I can see which means the frame is 1980 when Carlton were making frames at Worksop, the W stands for Worksop so the Frame is a Carlton like this one with a W based frame number....

CarltonPro77_BB.JPG

The frames were in the silver lustre of the Carlton Team and were a cracking frame........

Shaun

Midlife":xhlvyxq9 said:
Carlton closed it's doors in 1981 if memory serves...

Your frame number looks like WD0003096, the third digit along is a zero as far as I can see which means the frame is 1980 when Carlton were making frames at Worksop, the W stands for Worksop so the Frame is a Carlton like this one with a W based frame number....

CarltonPro77_BB.JPG

The frames were in the silver lustre of the Carlton Team and were a cracking frame........

Shaun
Shaun,
Thanks again! Would you suggest an alteration in price as a result? Selling it as a Carlton in Raleigh livery maybe?

Back