Carlton Criterium

Re:

Fantastic job Bruv..... Looks great before the lacquer! The colour changes in the different light as per the original, Spot on :D

Re: Criterium

Met up with Bro at the weekend, and reassembly was tackled......Shaping up nicely.
Chuffed with all the hard work and effort he has put into it :D

Re: Update.....

Initial Purchase....

Stage one refurb

Resto near complete......pedals etc and bottle carriers to fit, sitting alongside its relative, another one of Daves fine pieces of work.

Hi dears,
I'm new in the forum. I bought a Carlton Criterium some months ago and I've used it 25km almost each day to go to the university. The model is exactly the same as in this topic, but mine is not in good condition.

I really like this bike and I want to bring it to Italy with me and restore it, making it my sporty bike. Do you have some advice for correct restoration, where can I find original spare parts (like saddle and wheels)? Do you think is it worth carring it on plane and restoring it even if the painture of the frame is in bad condition, wheel need to replace or restored, saddle and rear derailler to be replaced as well?

Congratulation for the restoring of that Criterium, very well done!

Re:

Hi, Thanks for the compliments. It all depends on how accurate a restoration you wish to carry out, most of the parts and decals are available, some take a little more to track down than others. I kept mine pretty close to original apart from the bar tape and saddle upgrade for a higher Carlton model. If you let me know what your plans are I can sort out some links for you. Also if you want to have a look at Carlton cycles of Worksop on Facebook there's lots of stuff on there.

Thank you for your kind reply. I would like to refurbish it as original as possible. I'm sure the saddle is not original (Bassano Selle, btw Italian :D ) and the front wheel as well was replaced (too new). I'm not sure about rear wheel (Raleight rim with Shimano hub) and rear derailler Shimano Eagle II (which are both not in good conditions). I've found a Sountur VX rear derailler like yours in Italy for 30€. Should I buy it?

If you have any useful link and datasheet of the original components of the bike, original picture of the bike,.. I will really appreciate.

Then I am wondering about what to do with the frame, which has several point with paint damage and some (it seems superficial) rust. I don't know if could be better to keep the original painture, just some retouching in order to prevent rust, or if completely repaint it and put new decals.

And at last but not the least, how rare is this Carlton Criterium? I wouldn't find the same model in sale, in very good condition and cheap price, after having put big effort restoring mine :D

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back