cardboard bike

He says it works in the rain. I wouldn't like to try it on a soggy commute on the busy Sheffield streets!

Trevor.

if you process paper enough, it does just turn into an MDF type 'wood' so i guess its fine in the rain - to a point! ride it in the rain for a while and no worries, but leave it outside for a year and it will start to get soft! :)

kudos to the bloke though :)

ohh... and did you catch the pedals?? I wonder how much a Ti axled pair would weigh??? :twisted:

Have you seen what happens to MDF when it gets wet? turns straight back into.... you guessed it, Paper!, and wet paper at that!

Not a lot different to a "Carbon Fibre" bicycle really... except the Carbon has been replaced by cardboard :mrgreen: . It's still the "resin" or "glue" which holds it all together... or doesn't hold it all together in my experience :roll:

MDF/carbon fibre I was thinking too. Not quite there, and slight backwards thinking, but mad ideas for the win. I like his style.

And yes no suspension LOL!

mattpayne":32xzcb0w said:
ohh... and did you catch the pedals?? I wonder how much a Ti axled pair would weigh??? :twisted:

the pedals are awesome!

Cardboard's been tried on just about everything. Look at the pictures of Hope's cardboard disc and pad set up, no good for downhill but may be ok for XC.

Attachments

• disc-test.jpeg
    disc-test.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • pad-test.jpeg
    pad-test.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 1,171
mattpayne":1rqczbsi said:
if you process paper enough, it does just turn into an MDF type 'wood' so i guess its fine in the rain - to a point! ride it in the rain for a while and no worries, but leave it outside for a year and it will start to get soft! :)
kudos to the bloke though :)

The bloke is actually talking about selling these for 15 Pounds!! with a 6 month life expectancy if used daily. Cheap & cheerful, and surviving outside for a year was not a design criterion.

I'd have one, woudn't you??

I don't think he has a lot of experience in manufacturing/distribution/retail, though .....

Back