cardboard bike

The only things not made of card are the tyres and the chain!

And the chainring and the sprocket and the wheel axles and the pedal axles and the headset and...... :roll:

Awesome idea though - I'd deffo pay £15 for that, if only to display in my living room! :LOL:

In these days of sue everyone for anything, it wouldn't really be a good idea to start producing them.

Although for £15 I would buy one.

Cardboard

The famous Eastern Blocks Trabante cars body shell was made of resin bonded cardboard! They never rusted or fell to bits and held up very well in a crash! Its the resin which maintains the strength. Possibly bettter than Carbon fibre! Which 20 years on still seems to break easily!

Wold Ranger":24nlmm7z said:
The famous Eastern Blocks Trabante cars body shell was made of resin bonded cardboard! They never rusted or fell to bits and held up very well in a crash! Its the resin which maintains the strength. Possibly bettter than Carbon fibre! Which 20 years on still seems to break easily!

The Trabant is a good example, composites with "cardboard" can be made to last.

But IMHO carbon fibre does not brake easily as such, it's a matter of good design, execution and use. Composite materials behave complex, more so than metals like steel and aluminium. To produce functional, lightweight parts you really need to know what you're doing, or face failure. And we all vividly remember that many lightweight metal parts in the 90's had a habit of failing too.

Enjoy!!

Back