Carbon V Aluminium Rigid Forks

Despite quite happily riding a carbon frame and bars on my mtb and a carbon frame and seatpost on my roadbike, I still have an irrational fear of carbon forks.

Need to work on it because some of the products out there now look great.

I still have an irrational fear of carbon forks.

I used to aswell, when I first got the carbon exotic's I only used them lightly for fearing the worst but i've now got over it and happy to hammer them :LOL:

Oh and I weigh in just over 15 stone! :oops:

Bob":125xjufs said:
I've had the exotic one's for about 2 years, they've been on 3 different frames, can't fault them for the price, sensible weight (too light scares me!) the front wheel goes where I point it and they look good too :cool:

They're on my Corratec now, before this they were on my polished Avalanche (give you an idea of how they look on a chunky GT)

2011-09-08_15-11-51_403.jpg

Nice...Cheers guys! Just ordered them along with bars,stem and a headset.
Gonna take the frame to our local sign maker next for some 2012 olympic GT stickers.Post pics later.

IMG_1539.jpg

Heres my 3 GTs,you can see the Pantera needs a little TLC.Its been stripped and polished back again, and the rebuild starts soon...

I too was after some advice about rigid forks (http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=).

In general it seems that the carbon forks currently for sale on eBay get a thumbs up. I was worried about biuld quality as the forks seem almost too cheap for what they are.

There is of course Pace RC31's, they do come up fairly regularly on eBay and in both 420 and 440mm lengths. However, that said if you don't have budget constraints you can get new RC31's from Pace at £200.

However, if you were after something more in keeping with the age of the bike, perhaps Pace RC30's might be an option?

Thanx all...in the end, i went for ali forks as they were half the price but pretty much still nice and lite! .I am building this bike specifically for the Frome Cobble Wobble next year. Google it, perhaps some of you would like to come along. :cool:

I think Pace forks have a weight and rotor size limit, which is a tad scary!!!, and they flex!!!

I had an On one carbon forks in the past and no probs a tall, very rigid and light

I now have a Ritchey carbon fork with carbon steerer which is strong as an ox, Ritchey dont make their forks and you can find the Taiwanese manufacturer on ebay for about half the price

:roll:

IMG_0131.jpg

Thanx guys,After a bit of messing about with the polishing kit,i now have a rolling chassis to start putting components on...

IMG_0140.jpg

After a bit of messing about with the polishing kit

:shock: That is looking awesome, but what is this polishing kit you speak of? have you found an easy way to get results this good? please share :)

Polishing kit Halfrauds £12.99, stick the end of a drill and do 6mm at a time. Took me 25 hours so far, more to do in the winter in front of the telly (by hand).Dont be be scared of keeping the neighbour hood aware that you are using an electric drill for the combined hours of at least a day.
Small sacrifice ,Big results!
I used to use the same sort of kits on custom bike engine side cases too.(Mountain biking and building custom bikes in the early 90's whilst listening and going to too many raves.,happy days! ) :LOL:

Back