Carbon V Aluminium Rigid Forks

soggz

Dirt Disciple
Hullo Guys, im rebuilding my 96 GT Pantera which originally came with chromolly (?) rigid forks.I ran it for years with a set of JUdys which have now had it and i want to return it to how i bought it.In 1996.
The frame was bull burnished and as you can imagine, it became white with corrosion ,so i have spent 25 hours so far with 2 polishing kits and 3 tubes of Autosolve to bring it back to its former shinyness (apart from a few little dings which i havnt polished out for memory sake.(happy rave day dings i call them...lol).
I am having some decals made for it in my own colours as i want it to be a custom one off if you like, but im not sure about the fork. Obviously, on such a lite frame (7005 aluminium) i want to keep the weight down, but cant decide on which material.
I dont want to go mental with blowing money on the fork, as there is still other components to buy and i am but a poor man.
I have looked on wiggle,chain reaction, e.t.c. and a good ali fork is around 60 to 100 quid, carbon is more expensive, but i have found a website called Carbon cycles (?) which sell a carbon fork for around the same price as an ali one.Are they any good or will it crack under pressure?
The bike hasnt got to be built right now as ,like us all, i am on a budget but would like help in this matter.Thank you in advance and happy riding.

Hi and welcome along!......superstar components do a reasonably priced and lovely carbon fork too.....

The Exotic and Superstar forks are the same fork ;)

as is white brothers and others
just branded differently

Attachments

• exotic.jpg
    exotic.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 4,174
  • white-brothers-carbon-forks-377-p.jpg
    white-brothers-carbon-forks-377-p.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 4,172
  • superstar.jpg
    superstar.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 4,172
Thanx, they certainly look the dogs.Im sure they will make the bike feel 'livelier' too.
My Pantera has a 1 1/8 steerer, but what length should i go for? As I said before, i had a set of old judys on it before, so what should i require to keep the bike at the same angles(?).

I think that these are the shortest that they do

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/eXotic-Rigid- ... 2eb8534463

42.5 which equates to a 100mm travel fork i think, you might want to check the axle to crown measurement on the judys to see if you will get away with it, and maybe use a shorter stem to compensate for the slacker angles.

I cant find the v brake specific ones on the exotic website, so you might end up paying a little more though

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've had the exotic one's for about 2 years, they've been on 3 different frames, can't fault them for the price, sensible weight (too light scares me!) the front wheel goes where I point it and they look good too :cool:

They're on my Corratec now, before this they were on my polished Avalanche (give you an idea of how they look on a chunky GT)

2011-09-08_15-11-51_403.jpg

Exotic aluminium fork (425mm A-C) on my Gary Fisher Singlespeed - really good fork for the money...

Attachments

• gf_supercaliber_SS.jpg
    gf_supercaliber_SS.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 4,112
Back