Carbon steerer, bung has disappeared down inside....doh!!

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got some fancy Merida carbon forks with carbon steerer, and in a moment of 'this will only take a couple of minutes' type remedial work, I noticed the top of the bung was proud of the steerer top by a few mm, checked and saw it needed a 10mm allen key to tighten, undid it a bit before tightening, and.......the bung bit down inside the steerer fell off and has got wedged inside deep down....as the actress said to the bishop..... :facepalm:

Tried threading a bit of 10mm bar into it to pull out, but that didn't work. Can't go from underneath crown as it's solid there, so no access. Apart from selling forks on as I don't need them, or buying another bung to go in and forget about the other one weighing my forks down....what can I do....?? :?

(Should add, have tried every other method of removal like hook made out of old spoke, long screw driver, etc)

Re:

Got a photo of the type of bung?

There are different designs so without seeing it, cant advise.

Can you thread in the m10 rod into it?

Re:

It really seems to be stuck, so not sure anything sticky will work! There's also a bit still in the top of the steerer that the bolt sits in and not sure can get that out easily, will prevent pulling anything up past it possibly....??

Tried what I thought was a bit of M10 threaded bar but it just went straight through, so perhaps it wasn't M10, will have to check, but not got a lot else in the way of such things in the armoury! Anyway, I didn't fit it so I don't know which make it is, but it looks as if it's probably something like this....

Attachments

• deda-1-1-8-expander.jpg
    deda-1-1-8-expander.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 805
Re:

:LOL: :LOL:

No, not yet, not sure anything violent is going to be a good idea on carbon....!!

Will have another look and try a few more things once Storm Frank has passed through and I can actually get out of the door.... :facepalm:

mattr":1zg60tw6 said:
Just turn it upside down and tap it on the floor. Or a block of wood.

This.

I've dropped so many of these down steerer tubes.

If simply flipping the fork over and giving it a little tap doesn't work then try a spoke, use the bent end like a hook.

Can't see how it can be stuck unless you've pushed it down and wedged it...

Re:

Have to admit, I thought I had tried all the above to no effect, but then I was in a hurry and overly frustrated at the time, and did the whole 'you can stay in the corner til you've learned your lesson' thing.... :facepalm: :LOL:

Hoping to get out there and try again with more patience tomorrow, now the storm has passed, in every sense....

Latest posts

Back