Canti's or V's that is the question

Well set canti's are great. Well set up V's are great too. If your frame has canti mounts use them.

'v' brakes do not exist.

Retro bikes have proper cantis and modern bikes have discs.

Fact.

Matthews":eb4rccyu said:
the next big braking question is do I put a disc on the front (got no forks yet it adds yet another dilemma into the pot).
Matthew

Nothing wrong with that, especially if it's a regular rider, if you go for Marzocchi Z1/Z2 Bombers these have a disc mount (two on some Z1's, as well as Canti mounts), are dated around 97/98 so will suit the frame, can be bought with 60mm travel so will suit the geometry of the frame.

Disc tabs on these forks tend to be pre I.S but an adaptor can be used to fit a common caliper.

jimihendrix":1uct8utf said:
Any brake only works until the wheel is locked up (skidding) and a well set up Canti should be able to do that.

Quite right too!
Never trust anything that isn't symmetrical... V's aren't symmetrical.

Come to think of it V brakes don't have any resemblence to a V, they look more like a capital i, so they are pretending to be something they are not; THEY LIE!

So in summery- V brakes, they be a spawn of Witchcraft.

And while I'm thinking about it, the main advantage for V brakes seems to be that they are easier to set up [And by implication can be neglected with less danger than Cantilevers (Peace be upon them)] thus making V's the perfect tool for the nameless hoards who buy a bike and then stick it in the shed and forget about it.

V's; the brake for mere civilians!

Agree with the cantis for retro, discs for modern comment, but really do have to think in advance when cantis shod! Massive hill on my favourite route and I have to start braking halfway down on the kona ( suntour cantis). Can leave it til last minute on the clockwork ( XT discs).

Russell":9wrv0c2r said:
'v' brakes do not exist.

Retro bikes have proper cantis and modern bikes have discs.

Fact.

I agree too :LOL:
And I hate V Brake.

(And what about Pro-stop disc and Marinovative brakes ? :LOL: )

Back