cannondale super v 4000 dh

if thats all thats required it should be quite easy to modify something
you might do worse than to contact middleburn for help

If the chainring is fitted on the outside of the cranks does shifting it to the middle ring position make enough difference?

thanx,
but the BCD's on the biggest ring are different from the ones on the smaller rings and it can't be mounted using the same bolt holes.

MIKEE,
thanx, checked out midlleburn, seems like they could be made to work. before i decide i would like to try and find something a bit more retro looking, like fatter crank arms, all silver kind of thing. any other component companies that come to mind?

Hey zpcar,

I also owned a DH4000 back in the day, also broke the Magic cranks (two of them), and used to work for Middleburn too as it happens.

I replaced them with an XT set at the time with a long (118mm?) BB axle if I remember rightly, and had no problems with alignment. Obviously these were square taper and wouldn't be available or desirable now.

Any current Hollowtech 2 crank designed for DH should work, as the spacers should allow you to trim the chainline, and there will be no bosses for the granny ring. If you've already paid for a set of triple chainring cranks, you could always pay someone to mount the crank + axle up in a lathe and machine off the granny ring bosses to provide the clearance you need.

I think what "fixies" was suggesting was running the chainring on the inside of the chainring tabs on the crank, which will move the chainline inward by the thickness of the chainring + the thickness of the tabs on the spider. I don't remember having to do this at the time to be honest, but it could help you. Hard to know without seeing photos.

Reminiscing somewhat, that was probably my favourite bike ever. The forks and brakes were shockingly bad, but it rode really well. Mine ended up with Formula brakes, 8" Mr Dirt forks and a Stratos shock, but the frame put up with a huge amount of abuse and was still good as new when I sold it (almost anyway). Happy days :O)

Hope some of that helps anyway. Feel free to drop me an email if you haven't got the problem sorted yet.

Cheers,

Max

the BCD's on the biggest ring are different from the ones on the smaller rings and it can't be mounted using the same bolt holes.

The outer two rings on a triple mount to the same holes, either side of the tabs. You can run a single ring on the inside or outside of the tabs.

How wide's the bottom bracket shell? 73mm or something weird and wider?

max,
thanx for your post, that's exactly what i did. i bought a cheaper shimano deore three ring crank set (i'm still hoping to find an original coda crank one day), took off the inside rings and cut off granny ring bosses with the hacksaw. then i mounted the 48t ring on the inside of the crank arm and used three spacers, but that pushed the crank arm too far out and there was no more thread left to screw it on to the frame safely. so i had to mount the chain ring on the outside using only two spacers. now the chainline is not perfect (it's out by, i think about the thickness of the chain) but it works somehow, so far. i also had to replace the chain retaining weel ( the coda chain ring had a very handy bash guard which shimano doesn't, if you know where to find an 48t size bash guard, let me know. i couldn't find it anywhere, it's mostly 44t these days). since i broke the coda crank arm in half i was able to see the way it was made and it's truly amazing, a proper aviation (if not space) technology stuff. i'm not really a downhill or offroad (or anything, for that matter) bike fanatic, i use this bike just to cycle around london (and you need an offroad bike for that, considering the state of london roads) but i do have an eye for beauty and i've chosen this bike for it's classic design, not for it's performance. but it rides well for what i use it for. i hope to keep it working for as long as i am able to ride it, i'll keep you posted. all the best.

Hi all,

I have a near mint medium-sized DH4000 which I have restored. I am considering selling it on eBay so I thought I would mention it here first as someone may be interested?...

I sourced a lot of the spare parts from the states and it even has IRC missiles with pretty much full tread.

I also spent a small fortune sourcing a near new CODA Magic (not one of the ones known for breaking) new sachs discs and pads and have added a few new aftermarket items like a cannondale stem and FSA carbon seatpost, rapid fire SRAM shifter and Sycros grips just to bring it up to date.

it does need a new chain and the brakes need bled but thats it. the front and rear air shocks are working perfect.

if there is any interest I will take some pics and post them here

cheers

PPP

Cannondale Super V DH4000

Hi, Here is a pic of my DH4000

You can see more in my gallery

Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• super-v-dh4000-01.jpg
    super-v-dh4000-01.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 3,621
  • super-v-dh4000-05.jpg
    super-v-dh4000-05.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3,620
Love these bikes!
I remember back in 1996 when they first came out going into the local Cannondale dealer. They had one sitting on a pedastal in the middle of the shop. Still remember just oogling it! Cost from memory $10,000nzd, about $5000 british pounds.
Also the only bike that I don't have in my collection that I despirately want!

Back