Can you ride an mtb in a cyclo-cross race?

is cyclo cross the one where people run across a field carrying a road bike ? :LOL:

why dont people buy those instead of 29ers :?

neilll":3843p97l said:
Deffo NOT in the 3 Peaks !!!

Only competitors riding cyclo-cross bikes will be allowed to take part. Mountain bikes (or any other type of two-wheeled transport) are not permitted and anyone who appears (in the opinion of the race officials) to contravene this rule will be disqualified and/or prevented from taking part in the race.

;)

to be fair, as i remembered the 3 peaks, or as it will always be known to team RB - les deux peaks or even twin peaks... :roll:...it didn't really matter what your bike was, the person with teh biggest shoulder pad wins.

:LOL:

I used to race the London League on a MTB in the early 90s. How competitive you were was dependant on the course

CX

Build up an mtb light with say Conti CC 1.5's and it would probably be as quick, if not quicker than a cx bike and nearly as light. I used to do CC and carry the bike on the steep hilss as being also a County fell runner back than, I could blast past loads of riders grinding the granny!

The original NORBA rules, which I wrote in 1983, did not specifically exclude cyclocross bikes, but the rules about no replacements and the selection of rough, high-speed courses effectively kept them from showing up at MTB races.

The UCI hadn't had to deal with the problem of MTBs entering 'cross races until recently, and they effectively rule them out by limiting the parameters of the bike's design. They didn't like us then, and they like us even less now since our sport took over the world and theirs didn't.

But MTBs were definitely competitive in any of the 'cross races I have seen them in, and a rigid frame like my P-21 might even be modified into meeting the current parameters.

Not that I would bother.

If you're fit enough it doesn't matter what you ride,from experiance you're giving away some advantage to a cross bike on most of our local cross courses though.If you're just doing it for fun whats it matter,do a few if you like it get a cross bike(or 2).

Back