can anyone identify the correct Campag lock ring to use

petmcgratt

Dirt Disciple
Hi there, I wonder can anyone help.

I bought a pair of Campagnolo Electron wheels with record hubs last week and need to fit a 9 speed campagnolo cassette. I think the Electon wheels are from year 2001/01.

So I bought the 9 speed cassette - Veloce ultra drive 9 spped 13-26T with the following lock ring:

CS 401/R1 023 for 12, 13, 14 Tooth cassettes. Unfortunately this lock ring is about 1 mm too big and so I can't screw this into the threads.

Can anyone tell me what lock ring will let me secure this 9 speed 13-26T cassette to the hub? It must have to be slightly smaller in diameter to the one mentioned above.

thanks

You need the CS 201 26mm lockring listed here:

http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... part_C.pdf

Campag used to supply lockrings with their cassettes, but switched to supplying them with the hub some time around the turn of the millennium. Unfortunately they're silly money if you have to order one as a spare part, but you may find one through the classifieds or at a bike jumble. There's one on eBay, but it's already got a bidder at £5 + p&p:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331480896992

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Actually One-Eyed-Jim, it was the other way about - Campag used to supply with the hub but changed when they more-or-less harmonised the whole lockring thing, ditching the two variations on thread size and settling on one thread diameter / cassette body spec for 9, 10 & 11s hubs (well, two cassette bodies but they accepted the same lockring). The thread is still the same on the 11s-specific lockrings, it's just the material and depth of the lockring that have changed.

Campag stopped making the CS-201 some while ago, but Marchisio still offer a compatible lockring - RSI / Riva Sport International are the UK importer and a list of their retailers in the UK is here:

http://www.rsi-cycles.com/docs_non_act/index2.htm

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Main UK Campagnolo Tech and SC

Thanks guys for the feedback.

So guys the right one for me to get is the CS-201 lock ring and this will defintely work with a campag veloce 13-26T ultra drive cassette??

There are loads on ebay that are CS-201 but are compatible only with an 11T first cog. Why would this be??

thanks

peter

Re:

Thanks for that information. I've always found Campagnolo lockring compatibility rather confusing.

Re: Re:

gfk_velo":359pu3nj said:
Actually One-Eyed-Jim, it was the other way about - Campag used to supply with the hub but changed when they more-or-less harmonised the whole lockring thing, ditching the two variations on thread size and settling on one thread diameter / cassette body spec for 9, 10 & 11s hubs (well, two cassette bodies but they accepted the same lockring).
Ah, in that case, we're both right.

In the nineties, cassettes came with lockrings (see the '98 spare parts catalogue, for example). In '99 the first oversized aluminium hub axles were introduced, requiring the 27mm lockring, while the lesser groups kept steel axles and 26mm lockrings. Campag stopped supplying lockrings with cassettes, and began to supply them with the hubs. At some later point they harmonised their lockring standards and began supplying (27mm) lockrings with cassettes again.

Just a heads up - I think these are newly listed:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281579494424

Either that, or I missed them the other day. A much better price, and I can vouch for the seller.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Thanks for the heads up on that one.

I have just paid £22.00 at an ebay auction for the same one. UK seller but was expecting to pay that sort of price.

I will save the seller you can vouch for as that is a very good price indeed!!

thanks

Peter

Back