Campagnolo body upgrade

TimmS

Dirt Disciple
Hi all,

I can get my hands on a mid '90's set of Shamals, which is the good part.
The bad part is that it is fitted with a shimano 8-9-10 speed body.
Is it possible to fit those wheels with a campagnolo body that possibly even fits a 11v cassette?

Cheers

Shimano freehub on the original body ? you may be able to install a new hub that works but i doubt even an original one will go to 11 spd

latman":34v2xzm9 said:
Shimano freehub on the original body ? you may be able to install a new hub that works but i doubt even an original one will go to 11 spd

Really? Surely it's just a case of removing the Shimano freehub and replacing it with a Campagnolo one?

I didn't think there ever was a shimano spline body for Shamals , but go for it if there was !

Re:

@latman, that would also be interesting. Maybe I should just go and have a look.

I sure I once read somewhere that it is possible for old campa hubs to upgrde them to 11 speed.
Of couse I can't remember where and I can't find it back, but it had something to do with oversized and undersized axles.

Re:

looking at the pictures it is the '93 version if that helps maybe. So original 8 speed...

Agree with comments about checking what you have at the moment. If Campag then 9, 10, and 11 speed bodies are compatible but 8 is different. Can't comment on Shimano but Sheldon Brown's website will tell you and also about cross compatibility options. If you have a Campag hub compatible Shimano splined freehub then there are probably plenty who'd give good money for it.

Re:

Some years ago, Campagnolo made a conversion kit that allowed the then-current Campagnolo Oversize hub bodies to fit older 8s hubs, but they stopped offering this kit around 2008.

Now there is no option to resurrect these old hub designs.

AFAIK, Shamal was not offered in the 90s with a Shimano cassette body option, so you need to check that what you have is not in fact a Campagnolo 8s hub body - they look similar as both have shallow splines, both are steel ... Shimano compatibility options appeared first on Campagnolo hubs in 2003 according to our technical notes.

HTH
Graeme
Velotech Cycling Ltd
Campagnolo Main UK SC

Worth reminding that Shimano HG bodies have 9 splines, Campagnolo have always had 8 (shallow on the older, deep on the newest).

The problem is that Shamals had the "HPW" hub with a slightly deeper freehub design, sometimes it is possible to make a spacer and use a freehub from 2000-2006 Scirocco wheels.
But is mandatory to have pictures and see the hub, and especially the axle.

Back