calffee greg lemond z replica

Re:

Tried to fit the c record cranks this morning. The spindle that came with the groupset was stamped 70 sp and is 111mm wide. When I tighten the chainwheel crank, there is no clearance to the chainstays. I had another spindle lying around. This was marked 70 SPc. This has the clearance when everything is tightened up, however the spindle is loose within the bottom bracket and can still rub. Any ideas?

Attachments

• bottom bracket spindlesjpeg.jpg
    bottom bracket spindlesjpeg.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,038
Hi Pat - Great Project. I think this is the 58cm Calfee frame set offered from US - I had the same idea to include such a replica within my small plastic probike collection, but expensive shipment costs, duties and additional taxes stopped my intention.

my investigation comes to - that Greg Lemond rode in 1991 two different couloured calfees. One in funny Z-Team coulourfull paint red-yellow-blue and another which shining blue instead of black carbon nature. Both bikes are equipped with C-Record with Delta brakes and Powergrade Levers. I know in later in the end of 1991 season he rode his calfee with the first Gen of Ergopowers like you want to build up your replica
- I saw such a Calfee within about Greg Lemond Exibithion in Belgium

here a drop-in handle-bar from a US-eBAYer
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-SCOTT ... SwENxXnUQ~

Looking forward to further progress and see further pictures of your project.

Attachments

• Calfee_Tetra Pro_022.jpg
    Calfee_Tetra Pro_022.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Greg-Lemond-Calfee.jpg
    Greg-Lemond-Calfee.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Greg_Lemond_Alpe_D'Huez_30pct.jpg
    Greg_Lemond_Alpe_D'Huez_30pct.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,019
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

cloonaghpat":3mg8vyuk said:
Tried to fit the c record cranks this morning. The spindle that came with the groupset was stamped 70 sp and is 111mm wide. When I tighten the chainwheel crank, there is no clearance to the chainstays. I had another spindle lying around. This was marked 70 SPc. This has the clearance when everything is tightened up, however the spindle is loose within the bottom bracket and can still rub. Any ideas?

Do you think Greg used an original Campagnolo BB - I think he used everything. Within his career he trust a lot to MAVIC parts and with the MAVIC 610 BB of 114,5 mm it is possible to shift the cranks a little bit to the right or the left. You can use it for all kind of threading it needs no threading but you have to trim the housing of the BB for mor stability - I have done this within my Virenque's Gitane-RMO TVT92 Replica (see the small clearance to the chainstay after first instalment)

I hope perhabs this could be a solution - But I dont know? I do not know the width of the chainstays of the Calfee?

Attachments

• TVT_MAVIC BB 610 .jpg
    TVT_MAVIC BB 610 .jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 1,006
Re:

Thanks gridno27,

I ordered a shimano UN55 bottom bracket for it yesterday. It was only 20 euros, hopefully that will work out, if not I will be trying the mavic one you suggest.
Yes, that is the bike, it hung around for ages on ebay, I kept going back to it, and yes the import charges added another 100 euros to the price. I saw a genuine Calfee Greg Lemond frame only (no forks) going for 700 euros so I was ok with 400 euros and they are pretty rare. It is well constructed though and the gussets are lovely. I was holding out for 44cm Scott bars, but they are not turning up on ebay, I will probably put 42cm bars, (easier to find) I have a spec sheet from 'Winning' magazine for the titanium Greg Lemond bikes and Greg used 42cm bars on that bike.
I didn't know that the Lemond bikes were on display in Europe. Would have liked to have seen them, the Calfee Lemonds had white "Greg Lemond" decals in the 1991 tour.
They went to yellow in 1992. I will put up some scans from my old magazines later this week.

By the way, the RMO TVT turned out lovely, great to see a different take on a TVT bike.

Regards,

Pat

Hi Pat,

Thanks for compliment for the Gitane-RMO but I return them to your project

My Gitane-RMO is the same homework you did with the Calfee now. But I think there will be no possibility to find a
real Teamframe from RMO-Team of the 90s. I think they will be in cellar or exibition- room of the former rider.

Yes Greg Lemond was with all his former probikes at an Exibition in Belgium. I think this was within the scope of an Rapha sponsored Campaign when he started two years ago to moderate Tour de France at Eurosport Channel again. But I did not saw him personally - I saw the bikes only.

Refer to Scott drop-in you will modify it with all this additional metal plates, styrofoam and tape, which is
described here too? :facepalm:
https://greglemondfans.wordpress.com/20 ... nd-bike-1/

For my opinion the Price of this Calfee frame set was really cheap - a new one will be at 10-12 KEUR and it looks like the same as the frame sets from 90s. Good decision to buy it and start tis project :!:

But now I wish to you and your project a lot of easy going and success. And if finalized you will be one of the really rare persons, who owns a Lemond Calfee Replica. Congratulations

BR Thomas

Attachments

• Scott_drop-in01.jpg
    Scott_drop-in01.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 967
Back