GT Fan
Feedback
View
Vista - no network devices found

XP - your network is installed and ready to use

Vista - Windows was unable to detect any wireless networks

XP - 3 wireless networks detected

Vista - I dont want to work with anything, leave me alone

XP - even though product support may end soon, I'll help!

7 year old Dell Lattitude laptop up and ready with wifi, 1.25 meg RAM and so on. literally made out of bits from under my desk.

1.25 meg of RAM... Take it you mean gig?
Have you tries Linux on old laptops, like puppy or slax, really fly and you don't need any resource hungry AV

Aye- Vista unfortunately substituted "Plug and Play" with "Cow's Arse with a Banjo"...............

Easy_Rider":1nc53ldz said:
Have you tries Linux on old laptops, like puppy or slax, really fly and you don't need any resource hungry AV
I booted from the Ubuntu 10 Live CD on a friend's 1.35GHz AMD machine with 1GB of memory and was amazed at how advanced it was, how smoothly it ran and how quickly it detected all hardware devices.

In fact, it felt almost as quick as the copy of Win XP that was installed on the HDD, even though Ubuntu was running from the CD drive.

If I wasn't a Mac user, I know which OS I'd be working with...

I'm a big fan of Puppy and Xubuntu. Puppy is great for basic PC use and Xubuntu is a very capable OS loaded with all the software you'll ever need all for free :D

Even an IT numpty has managed to greate a boot CD then follow the instructions to install it. Well worth a try.

legrandefromage":3dum8tx9 said:
Vista - no network devices found

XP - your network is installed and ready to use

Vista - Windows was unable to detect any wireless networks

XP - 3 wireless networks detected

Vista - I dont want to work with anything, leave me alone

XP - even though product support may end soon, I'll help!

7 year old Dell Lattitude laptop up and ready with wifi, 1.25 meg RAM and so on. literally made out of bits from under my desk.
Nowt wrong with XP.

I still struggle to care about Vista or Windows7.

if you fancy pootling about in t'interwebz and "apps" then try JoliCloud

very user friendly and intuitive, based on Linux will run on very low spec anything

Back