BSA Tour de France special Edition?

stevev":hc74qmci said:
I have just picked up a Tour de France simply because this was the first race bike I owned back in around 75-76'ish the only difference is the bike I have picked up is silver and mine back in the day was orange, I would be grateful for any info or contacts that I could use as I'm a relative novice...Cheers

Hi Stevev. Welcome to the forum. What is it you would like to know? Have you got a picture of your bike?

Tel":3e9qh51d said:
stevev":3e9qh51d said:
I have just picked up a Tour de France simply because this was the first race bike I owned back in around 75-76'ish the only difference is the bike I have picked up is silver and mine back in the day was orange, I would be grateful for any info or contacts that I could use as I'm a relative novice...Cheers

Hi Stevev. Welcome to the forum. What is it you would like to know? Have you got a picture of your bike?

not yet but I'll see if I can knock something up tomorrow ;)

There you go

323.jpg

Any Advice or pointers greatfully accepted ;)

Thats alright innit. A picture of the drive side would have been better though ;)

Is it in good nick? What do you want to do with it? Restoration or upgrade?

Personally if I was to keep it I'd give it period upgrades although not to a high standard as the frame would not really appreciate it if that makes sense. Probably just change the gears, pedals, saddle, crank and brake levers (erm, thats pretty much everything - lol).

I like the large flange hubs so if the rims are alloy I'd keep the wheels but would look for some tyres that were in good nick. I'm presuming it's 27" wheels and not 700c. Replace anything steel with alloy and you'll have a nice ride, although as I said to the other fella it is what it is and will never be worth a fortune, well unless you put a Campag 50th Anniversary Super Record groupset on it....

I kind of had this romantic notion I would get it back to original condition but in Orange, I suppose it will all depend on how easy parts are to get hold of. I have a decent road bike for serious stuff so this is more of a nastalgic trip. ;)
327.jpg

331.jpg

stevev":zt4kkpow said:

I've got an orange one that one of my dad's friends found in someone's rubbish in the early '80s. Like everyone's said, it's nothing special, but after giving it a bit of attention it's by no means a bad bike. We relocated to Texas a few years ago, and people definitely give it a second look over here. It's probably one of the fastest bikes at my university too. With a bit of cleaning up and maybe a respray in its future, it's undeniably a cool, albeit unremarkable, bike.

Ta-da!

DSC02341.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

Sold now, but very enjoyable while I owned it. It was heavy heavy heavy, with chromed steel everywhere you might expect alloy. I've got a Carlton Circuit, about the same age and with the same drive train components - you could really tell the difference in weight between the two. But I was a big fan of the style, the big blocky graohics, and the kind of sunny, tangerine glow that surrounded me every time I took it for a ride. Steve, I've always liked them in blue, it's a shame Ididn't see your post above when I still owned the beast!

Found one of these in the weeds behind the railway station near work last year. Both wheels were trashed, but apart from that it looked sound. Even so it really wasn't worth carting all the way home on the train.

@ Goldie
Really quite jealous of that bike, how you managed to keep it in such good condition is pretty remarkable. By any chance, do you remember what the decal underneath the seat said? Mine had all but disappeared by the time I got the bike, and all I can make out is a few letters from Raleigh, but it looks like there were more words there before.

Looking good, a trusty old mount.

Looks like the Huret mech needs its cage moved to the next tensioning position!

Back